.22 LR pocket pistols

I wouldn't mind getting a .22 LR pocket pistol before the ban in Kalifornia (one month to go). Is the Beretta .22s good? How durable are they? What other options? I don't want a DAO model (DA trigger on a pocket makes it (nearly)impossible to hit with). DA/SA preferred or SAO.

This will NOT be used for defense (no .22 is too weak speeches please). I just want a pocket pistol to add to my collection while I can still get one. I would also like it to be somewhat durable (so I can plink with it on occasion). I like the challenge of hitting targets with a hard to shoot pistol...

I have the taurus pt22. It's very reliable and quite accurate. I can hit cans at 20 yds. pretty easily. The trigger is dao but it is smooth and quite light. One thing is its a bit bigger than the beretta.

Railroader,

How light is the trigger pull (under 9 lbs)? Any problems with you Taurus (people on the Taurus forum report a lot of problems with the guns)? I have heard good things about your model though...Gun Tests gave it a good review.

OLD Beretta .22 LR and .22 Short -- at least 20 years old -- are awesomely accurate, dependable and the .22 mini-mag by CCI is formidable as it IS designed for the short barrels.

The Iver-Johnson TP-22 which was made until the late 80s is wonderful and accurate and only about $200 still.

The Walther TPH .22 is the finest of all pocket pistols in .22 ever made IMO. It is fantastically accurate and once the bugs are ironed out by a good smith they are totally dependable. However Interarms never had good quality control on them and virtually ALL of them must be worked on to make them like they were supposed to be. They are pricey and WORTH it at $200 to $400.

The Walther PP, PPK, either one in .22 LR are very nice, very expensive, very pretty and well known... they are not very accurate and very UNdependable. The ones made in Germany or France are far better than the ones made here!!!

I have a beretta model 21 and it isn't accurate but is very reliable for a rimfire.I've heard people say they jam often but I haven't had any at all out of it.It is pretty durable as far as pocket pistols go.

I've also got a TP-22 by Taurus.

I've put over 2000 rounds through it without a single malfunction, except for CCI Mini Mag ammunition. That wouldn't go off on the first strike about 25% of the time. I put fewer than 100 rounds of CCI through it.

With the normal load of Winchester Wildcat, though, it has been absolutely flawless.

The trigger pull isn't bad at all. I've never scaled it, but it's not as heavy as some of my revolvers.

I'm not sure what the utility of a pocket .22 would be. If I were buying it for carry, I'd much rather have a larger caliber. If it's just for sport shooting, I'd rather have a larger gun.

I have .22 caliber Walther TPH (American) and PPK/s (French). Jody is right on, they both will need work to be reliable but once they are reliable, what a firearm. The TPH is exceptionally accurate, is very fast and does not eat my hand; the PPK/s is a joy to shoot and also does not eat my hand. Had a PPK/s in 380 that was a flesh eater and got rid of it. The TPH is a good gun and you can easily conceal it. True it is a puny caliber even in .25 but it goes anywhere. If you consider the TPH, pay the extra bucks and get a German made one from Earls.

"I'm not sure what the utility of a pocket .22 would be. If I were buying it for carry, I'd much rather have a larger caliber. If it's just for sport shooting, I'd rather have a larger gun. "

------------------------------------------------------------
Simple, its a "fun gun". I have a target .22 (Ruger Mk II 5.5 inch barrel) and a carry pistol (Glock 26). To me, a pocket .22 is a fun close range plinker and it is a nice addition to a "Big gun" only collection.

I have a NAA mini Magnum came with 2 cylinders a 22lr and a 22mag nice gun lifetime warranty and shoots pretty good I have the 1 5/8 barrel.. And there cust. service is excellent.. not a semi auto thou I use to have one of those and for a 22 use to have misfires alot got rid of it for the mini revolver and love it... :D

"I have a NAA mini Magnum came with 2 cylinders a 22lr and a 22mag nice gun lifetime warranty and shoots pretty good I have the 1 5/8 barrel.. And there cust. service is excellent.."

How heavy is your trigger pull? Is the mini easy to shoot?

Quantum, About 2 years ago the firing pin broke on my Taurus PT 22. I sent it back and they replaced the pin, slide and barrel. It used to shoot pretty much to point of aim now it is about 4 inches high at 15 yards. Taurus said I could send it back if I wanted and they would check it out. I didn't I'm used to it. The trigger is probably about 8 or 9 pounds with no creep or stacking.

What are you guys smokin?

The .22lr was designed as a small varmint round to kill rabbits and squirrels.

You'll only make a BG mad with a .22lr round.

For the same size you can get a Kel Tec P-32 or a NAA Guardian with a centerfire round that is more reliable than a .22lr. You at least have a 63% stop rate on the street.

A .22lr will kill them 6 hours later if at all but not stop them in their tracks if you need to use lethal force lawfully.

BTW - most of the Beretta Bobcats, Jetfires, Taurus (sp) are jammomatics.

"What are you guys smokin?

The .22lr was designed as a small varmint round to kill rabbits and squirrels.

You'll only make a BG mad with a .22lr round."

Your argument is irrelevant. Please don't turn this into a caliber debate. As I have said before, this is not going to be a self defense gun. If I need to shoot a BG, my Glock 26 fits the bill fine.

I want a .22 LR mainly due to ammo costs. I want a pocket size gun to add to my collection because I won't have the opportunity to buy one in the future (won't be legal in Kalifornia after Dec 31). I have shot .22 pocket pistols before and they are fun to shoot (I shot a S&W 2213 and an old Beretta 22).

Although I have ordered a NEW Berretta .22 -- when I get it if it is not excellent or Berretta can't make it that way I will sell it and go for an older one. It is a classic and the old ones ARE superb, accurate and have the advantage of the tip up barrel which allows for one hand loading or loading by a weak or small person.

And regarding the caliber debate let us leave it alone here.
I will set a new thread up regarding the .22 which IS what I'd choose...

I just shot a Beretta .22 last weekend.

When you first get it, clean it well and oil it.

I had a problem with Blaser .22, it kept jamming. After switching to CCI standard velocity, it shot well and never jammed.

You know this subject is ALWAYS going to bring someone in who's going to try to start the "mousegun" argument. Why I'll never know but pay 'em no mind.
I'm one who LIKES mouseguns. Yeah, I've got a G26, a G22C, and other pistols but I enjoy carrying mouseguns. They are damn fun to shoot and plink with. I live in a very rural area and when I'm in the forest cutting wood, fishing, or just hiking, I love taking "plinking breaks".
I've tried most of the small autos out there, at one time or another but my favorite and one I like to carry with me is the Beretta 950 BS in .22 short. This thing is so small it's a delight to carry. My example has been COMPLETELY reliable having ZERO stoppages in hundreds if not thousands of rounds. It's also pretty accurate. It will hit out to about 15 yards which is satisfying for such a tiny piece. It'll feed solids and hollow points equally well and really has surprising ballistics using the hollow points. It's also a very QUALITY piece and really not THAT expensive. Check one out if you can find one.
I know you're asking about pistols but a neat, light, (10 oz.), very small revolver that has become one of my favorites is the S&W "Air-Lite" Kit Gun, (3" bbl.). I installed one of those "Clip Draw" carry-clips on it and when I carry it, I can't even tell it's on me. It's also an "eight-shooter", and accurate as hell. Neat gun.

I've owned the Beretta 21A and no less than 4 Taurus
PT-22's (a story in itself and a testament to Taurus's
excellent customer service and erratic quality control).
Neither model was remotely reliable and I had pretty much
given up on the idea of a reliable .22 pocket pistol.
On a whim I got the Phoenix HP-22 and have been very
pleased. Not a single malfunction in over 500 rds. which
is better than the Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22/45 that
I've owned. Can't speak to long term durability but as
things stand I highly reccomend this inexpensive and
reliable handgun.

Back