.22 LR ammo variety- what do you buy?

TruthTellers

Since the .22 ammo panic is long over and prices are low enough to buy in large quantity again, I decided earlier this year to start cutting down on the variety and different brands/loadings of .22 I have. I'm shooting up the bulk packed ammo when I go to the range and have decided on only buying a handful of .22 to keep stockpiled.

I'm just wondering does anyone else do this or do you just buy whatever .22 you can find or what's cheapest?

In no particular order, here's what I've narrowed down to when I buy .22 now:

1. CCI Standard Velocity- Cheap and accurate.

2. CCI Velocitor- Hardest hitting .22 I know of that is quality and accurate.

3. CCI Stinger- Good results when I use this in handguns, not that accurate from rifles.

4. Aguila Sniper SubSonic- Quiet, accurate, and a good penetrator.

5. CCI Quiet- Cheap, even quieter than Aguila SSS, but doesn't work in semi-autos.

6. Winchetser bulk- Decent power, ok hollow point, shoots well from my guns.

7. Winchester Super X Hyper Speed- this is basically a budget CCI Velocitor load that Winchester makes, but instead of 50 rd boxes, they sell it in 100 rd boxes.

golden bullet

When things were bad, I bought and shot what I could find. I too need to shoot up some odd .22 that I acquired during those times. Now that things have settled down, I will buy my old standby, the Remington high velocity "Golden Bullet" HP, in 500 rd bulk.

Though I hear and read bad reports on the GB bulk, the fodder has always shot and grouped well (enough) from all my .22's. I'll add that I never hoarded .22's, after the first .22 crunch (when?, O'bama's first election?) I bought GB's when I could find them, but never went overboard. When the second, really bad crunch hit in the O'bama years, I was pretty well set without having to panic. I absolutely refused to pay the scalping prices that were so common around here.

Mainly CCI standard velocity followed by Aguila Super Extra standard velocity. These seem to be the best “bang” for the buck, excuse the pun..:D

When I hunted woodchucks with a .22 I almost always used Stingers. Now that gun only gets shot for fun so I use bulk Remington or whatever is on sale.
I also liked Remington Yellow Jackets, many, many years ago. They disappeared in our area for a long time, I thought Rem stopped making them, and then they came back years later but I was happy with Stingers at that point.

I have a mongrel mix of 22 ammo, but some of it is better than average quality. I have a new rifle on order (Tikka T1X), so when I get it I might buy some high grade ammo for it. Depends on the accuracy of what I have on hand.

I have a mix, but I only buy non jacketed in the velocity range of 1000-1100 FPS. All I shoot is targets. Right now I’m buying Federal AutoMatch. It’s cheap and I have a CZ 455V that loves it. The only Ammo that CZ shoots better is Eley Match or Eley Tenex.

You need to buy whatever ammo your particular .22 shoots best. No two .22 calibre firearms will shoot the same ammo the same way. Gets worse with semi-auto's as they have be cycled by the ammo too.
Saddest part of the whole market is that Remington discontinued Yellow Jackets. They'd go right through an M1 helmet. Stingers will not. Tested(along with Winchester Expeditors) by some guys who hung around the gun shop when hypervelocity .22 ammo first came out 30 some years ago.

I have a box of Yellow Jackets that I bought years ago and will never open. It's gonna be collector's ammo along the lines of Black Talon.

Whatever is on sale at the moment. Federal had their Black Ammo sale and I got 1600 rounds for a net cost after $20 rebate for $40

CCI Standard, Tactical, Mini Mag solids and HPs . I've bought SK Std plus and some Eley Std. The SK seems more accurate than the others. I have had good luck with Federal auto Comp.

For general plinking, Federal AM22
For normal pistol competition, CCI-SV
For serious pistol competition such as Regional / Sectional / State Championships, Eley Club.

If just plinking I use the cheapest round I can find.
If hunting or competition I buy a variety & see what works best in my guns.

CCI Standard is the only thing I have found that chokes my Beretta Neos. Well, and the subsonic stuff, which doesn't run any semi that I know of. It doesn't feed correctly, so probably something about the shape of the nose.

I have an older Marlin M60, a Ruger 10-22, and a H&R 9-shot revolver. The all handle anything I care to try, but I buy mostly Aguila, Remington GB, or anything CCI.

CCI SV was my standard fodder but I found Eley Practice for the same price. It shoots cleaner and more accurately out of my Mark pistols. My new match ammo is Eley Force. Again, for Christmas I found it at a very good price and stocked up on it.

Force shoots even better than Practice.

Whatever good quality ammo is available. I prefer Federal American Eagle copper-plated stuff, but will shoot almost any good quality ammo.

Back