22 Hornet

NHSHOOTER

I just inherited a 22 hornet and some 40 gr vmax bullets, I have a older hornady manual but it doesnt list the 40gr vmax bullets..The only powder I have that will work is winchester 296 and even winchester does not list a 40 gr pill..Just looking for a plinking load, any ideas?

Many thanks burrhead, I did search hornady's website this morning and didnt come up with that info..I will print that out for future reference...

I load 10.5 grains of 296 behind my 40 grain bullets (all of them, although I mostly shoot Speer 40 gr SP), for 2,700-2,750 FPS out of my rifle.

Not a screaming fast load, but very accurate in my rifle.

I’ve found most of the bullets suitable for that cartridge are of light enough construction, the cheaper SP’s work just as well as the VMax and HP’s for what I’m shooting (mostly ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and similar sized animals).

NHSHOOTER, what rifle do you have? I load my Savage 23D nearly identically to Crankylove, although I'm using H110. If I go higher in that rifle, it tells me "No!". Works great at 2,750. Newer, stiffer actions, go for it.

ligonierbill I have a older model 77/22 ruger..its been fired plenty and I just want to plink with it, the only powder I have available for it is win 296, I have plenty of other powders just none that are called for in the hornet..

Good on the Ruger 77. You should be able to load anything published. H110 and Win 296 are essentially the same powder. Good luck and have fun!

Back