22 hornet question

redlantrn

Ok, have been in kind of treasure hunt in my newly acquired collection. My grandfather said that one of the rifles I have received is chambered to fire 22 hornet ammo. I cannot see anywhere on any of the rifles notating this round. I've seen a 5mm Remington, and 7mm Savage. Could it perhaps be the Remington? I feel kind of silly not being able to figure it out, but would appreciate any direction.
Thanks for all your help!

You might want to have a smith take a look. If it's not indicated on the barrel you need better advice than is available here. A smith should have go and nogo gauges. Worst case he may have to cast the chamber.

The .22 Hornet is a fairly small rimmed center fire cartridge, often used for varmint hunting in built up areas. Rifles chambered for it are usually marked "22 Hornet", but some European rifles might be marked 5.6x36R. The 5mm Remington is a rimfire cartridge and not the same as the .22 Hornet.

I can only suggest you keep looking.

Jim

What is the make and model of the gun?
What are the markings?

Oh, I see, you want us to pick the .22 Hornet out of a pile of unidentified guns.

Do you have a camera?

Why are we playing guessing games? Folks here generally want to help but you are not giving us anything to work with.

List and illustrate what you have and you will get back real information. It isn't hard, a couple of us here have been identifying rusty guns in Brazil.

Sorry for causing some frustration Jim. I looked at all the rifles and did not see anything marked "22" Hornet", and was just wondering if there was some other corresponding name/number I should be looking for to identify it.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I have 40 rifles/shotguns which I have just taken posession of from my Grandfather, neatly lined up (and taking up a whole room in my house). It's overwhelming at times, as I try to figure out what I have, what it might be worth, and what to do with them.
Again, please accept my apology, as I am trying to wrap my head around a world that is completely new to me, as before all I had were a couple of Glocks.
Thanks for understanding.

Oh, and yes I have a digi cam, but as many can attest, pic taking is a new world to me too:) Below is a pic of my collection

Attachments

• IMG_0289_2.jpg
    IMG_0289_2.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 80
Look closely at the seventh one down on the left, the one with the scope sight and what looks like yellow tape on the stock.

Wow Jim!. You either have really good eyesight, or my photo skills aren't as bad as I thought. I removed the scope mount, and it is a Savage 340B in
cal. .222

I thought that was a Savage 340, but .222 (Remington) is not .22 Hornet.

I do not have any other suspects in that picture. Sorry.

The scope that is on the 10th rifle down on the left...

What make is the scope?

If that's what I think it is, it's got some considerable value to it.

Grandpa

Well it would appear grandpa,liked guns,and yes sir you have a nice collection ....and all my grandpa left me was "nothing"......The top right hand gun may be a Dutch Beaumount ,but I just can't tell ....I would suggest posting each guns picture with s/n's and we can tell you what they are and their value ....Th M-1 Garand sticks out also .....:D

If you can, hold onto them and pass them on to your sons/grandsons.....

BB34

11th down

4 below the savage 340 is another scoped rifle. has a fancy cap on the pistol grip. that rifle 's magazine appears to be the correct size for the 22 hornet. that would be the one i would guess to be chambered in the hornet.

"The scope that is on the 10th rifle down on the left...

What make is the scope?"

Mike: the scope in question is a Tasco #705 6-18x40. It is mounted on a winchester 700 in cal 22-250. This particular gun is very heavy, and in mint condition.

Bigbird: Thanks for the compliment. Since I'm home sick from work today, I will take individual pics of each gun, and post serial #'s. I really appreciate everyones help (and patience)

Birdshot:
4 below the savage is a remington 591M 5mm magnum

Nice Collection

I spy a Carcano Calvary Carbine (bottom left corner), a SVT 40, one Krag, a SMLE, a No.5 Jungle carbine, a few Mausers, a nice P14/17, a Mosin M44, a French MAS 36, a Spanish FR8, a 1903 Springfield (?),and an SKS amongst that collection

You should post better pics and start a "what the heck is this?" thread.

Your request has been granted. See my new "What The Heck Is This" thread. Hopefully, this will streamline things a little.

Back