.22 Conversion kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

Does anyone have any experience with the .22lr coversion kits for centerfire handguns?
I live in NYC and it would be less complicated buying 1 new handgun, and getting a conversion kit, than getting 2 new handguns. Are these kits worth the $200+? Or, would I be better off getting a true .22lr pistol or revolver?

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

cenemeth:

You would be better served to buy a .22lr pistol, my first suggestion being the RUGER MKII You can find them for $200 and even less.

The conversion units more often than not require minor fitting by gunsmith, and won't shoot as good as true .22s

Finally two guns mean less wear and tear on the one!!!

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 18, 1999).]

Christopher,

I've got one of the Ciener units on an old 1911 style alloy frame. It is accurate and reliable. The frame was an "extra" I ended up with after a couple of build up projects. If I had not had this extra frame, I probably would have put the $200 toward another pistol.

Your point about getting the most versatility out of each firearm you own is well taken. I would probably put up with the extra hassle and buy both.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I own one of the Ciener units and am very happy with it.
One advantage to the conversion is that you are shooting for practice with the same gun you might have to use for real. Such familiarity might save your life someday.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I have the conversion kits for CZ75 and a Colt Ace for my 1911s. Both are a joy to shoot. If you're limited to the number of guns you may own, then a coversion kit is the way to go. Another perspective is that you have greater familarization with that particular firearm (although the recoil characteristics will be different). But, if you're not limited, then James Monte makes a good point about the cost of the kit equalling the price of another gun.

Naturally, you can do what I did, get both! :)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have a Colt conversion unit that works well and is accurate, though not in the league with my Ruger Mk I or S&W Model 41. A big problem with Colt's is the junky mag follower, which is made of (apparently) zinc and wears rapidly. Someday I will check out alterntives.

Jim

I am considering buying a .22 conversion kit for the Taurus PT99. Does anyone have experience with it and does it shoot fairly well / accurately?

I have the Ciener kit for the Beretta 92. The thing is well made and shoots perfectly. I was on his waiting list for 10 months when they first came out.

cnemeth
In NYC, are you allowed to posess ammo for a gun that you don't own? If you own a .22 conversion kit and not a .22 gun, then I bet they could give you trouble.

------------------

You are right MikeD, if you do not own a firearm chambered in a certain caliber, you cannot own those bullets. I don't think the kit would cause a problem, but I own a Ruger 10/22 so owning .22lr ammo would not be a problem.

I own the Kimber kit. I have a number of other .22s. But I wanted one to use with the standard .45 I shoot. I wanted to practice with the same trigger and grip. What I found was the .22 kit magnified any little tiny flaws in my mechanics. In order to pull the groups down, I had to be letter perfect in my form. That's a good thing. Then when I went back to the .45, those mechanics followed through.

I have the conversion kit for a specific reason. When I just want to plink, the old MKII is just hard to beat.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back