.22 conversion kits for Browning HP/FEG clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Has anyone seen a kit to convert a Browning HP or an FEG clone of same to .22? I know such kits exist for 1911 patterns and I think they're such that you can switch back and forth, albeit slowly and with effort. I WANT an FEG and it's in my price range, even looks like it would fit my fiancee's hands but if I could convert it to .22 for awhile so she (and I :) ) can learn on the cheap, easy stuff I'd have one shipping by tomorrow!

BTW, are the parts interchangeable on FEG's and real HP's? And before you ask, I did do a search--these are just the few questions it didn't clear up.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Yes they do make them. I couldn't dig up the add, but there used to be one in The Gunlist. However I'd advise against it. Every conversion I've seen is inaccurate. The best bet for her would be a Browning Buckmark. You can get matching grips, for what ever style you have on the HP. And to boot you will have an accurate new toy. I use one solely for small game. Yesterday I got a grey squirrel at 47 yards, 1" below what I was aiming at. After the shot I ranged the tree with a lazer. This one has a dot scope, but the irons aren't that bad either. 1" groups are very common at 25 yards off of irons with 10 shots.
The Buckmark Target 5.5" fits male and female hands fine. It basically feels like the ambidextraus Hi-power stocks, wich fit a woman's hand the best.
My wife, wich shoots maybe 500 rounds a year(not much) can group the scoped buckmark into an inch and a half at fifty yards.

I'm looking at a Buckmark (but a standard, I ain't rich or nuthin') but basically I need to get ONE affordable gun right now. I like the .22 and all but it would be nice to have the option of either that or 9mm. My fiancee really likes the Buckmark but doesn't seem to want one for herself (I thought about a used one for her birthday, wrapped in a new dress, of course. I ain't stoopid, neither.)
I'm still going over options. Thanks for your help! Anybody else know about these conversion kits? Where can I get one? Are they too inaccurate to be worth it?

------------------
Don

I believe J.A. Ciener makes a conversion unit for the Browning. They ain't cheap. For what the conversion will cost you, you can probably go ahead and buy the Buckmark. I think you'd be better off to do it that way.

Me too. I went to the gunshop today and the thing that caught my eye was a Heritage Arms Rough Rider--it's a .22, SA, basically looks like a "Cowboy movie Colt .45" only smaller. I think the grip will fit the SO well and she'll have to fire deliberately and carefully. It even has a safety! And at $125, I can afford to keep it when I move up to a good 9mm or .357.
I want info on this gun, but I'm going to do a search now before I post yet another question!

------------------
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back