.22 CB questions?

AR BLACK

I just came back from Wal-Mart, and was going to buy some .22 shorts for night-time critter control.

Is there a difference between:
.22 CB (short, made by CCI?)
and
.22 short (Remington High-velocity)?

Wal-Mart has .22 CB (100 rounds) $4.97 and the Remington .22 short (50 rounds) for $1.78.

Ammo to be used in a pump rifle, so cycling not a problem.

Thanks in advance, Blackie

The .22CB is variety of hybrid cartridges between the .22BB, which is one of the oldest (circa 1845) successful, self-contained cartridges, and the .22short. The CB has been produced in various case dimensions, bullet weight, and charge type. BEWARE that the firearm in which you're planning to use the CB is designed for the current production cartridges.

The Remington "CBee" cartridge uses a 30-grain bullet in a .22short or .22long case, with a listed MV of 700fps.

The CCI "CB Cap" uses a 29-grain bullet in a .22short or .22long case with a MV ranging from 727-830fps.

By contrast, most of the .22short standard velocity cartridges push the 29-grain bullet at 1045fps, and the high velocity versions are rated at 1125. These values assume a solid bullet; add 25fps for the 25-grain hollow point.

The short should not be used for small game over 2lbs in wt. or at ranges exceeding 50 yards.

(most data from the 7th Ed. of Cartridges of the World.)

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 16, 1999).]

Because of the low muzzle report and sub-sonic bullet, people have been known to eliminate their stray cat problem in the cities where discharge of a firearm is prohibited by using CB .22s.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

.22CB.....
smile.gif

Love this little critter. It is much better than a pellet rifle for stray/pest control.

Especially if you tape a "Big Slam" bottle to the muzzel.
biggrin.gif

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiac, about the Big Slam: Good idea, but how do you sight? Doesn't it interfere with your iron and/or optical sights?

Fellas, I believe that is illegal - manufacture and possession of a silencer. If you really want to aim, (((idea omitted))). That is what I heard, anyway.

thanks for the info

[This message has been edited by AR BLACK (edited June 18, 1999).]

smile.gif

I didn't say DO IT...
smile.gif

Those bottles are a bit small I would think... A motor oil bottle (rinsed out) would work pretty good too...

Sighting? Most silenced arms are impossible to sight... unless you have a raised sight base.
A AR-15 with a .22 kit is a natural...
But since I dont have a .22 kit I cant verify this... never tried it. just heard some rednecks talking about it at a truck stop near kansas city... yeah - thats it...

smile.gif

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Back