.22 caliber to .17 caliber

John/az2

I need some second opinions based on experience...

I saw a Tompson Contender chambered for a .22 long rifle that re-sized the bullet to .17 caliber by the time the slug exited the muzzle.

I thought, "Hey, that's cool!" primarily because of the inexpensive nature of the .22 LR.

So I'm wondering. Could you get a Ruger 10/22 action with a beefed up recoil spring and put such a reduction barrel (.22 to .17)on it?

Would it be accurate? Would it be effective?

I have been told that the bore is so small that you have to manually evacuate the smoke, and run a cleaning rod through it about every 10 rounds.

What problems would I encounter?

Please educate me. :D

Thanks!

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

This looks like a solution in search of a problem. What's the point?

A guess about the Contender-deal is that the pressures are forced to be artifically high, and get a higher velocity. But I can see where it would lead the heck out of the barrel...

It strikes me as a bunch of money for little gain in the 10-.22. Might as well go to a .22 Mag or Hornet/Bee rifle.

Dangifino...

Art

Taper bores were tried by the Germans during WWII for a lightweight anti-tank gun. While it worked (and had extremely high velocity), the trade off is barrel wear.

While I don't think you'll get barrel wear on a taper bore .22 LR, I think Art is correct in saying you'll get a lot of leading. May be fun, but there's a lot of scrubbing.

Art, the point is that I've never done this before and I'm asking for experience from others so that I can make an educated decision about putting together such a gun.

It's main use would be varmint hunting, but at the same time I want the availability of the less expensive .22 LR ammo.

Another concern that I failed to mention is that of accuracy. Is it affected by the deformation of the .22 slug through the tapered barrel?

Could I shoot copper plated bullets through such a barrel?

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

Back