.22 Caliber Target Rifle

Nightowl

I am looking to start benchrest competition shooting at my gun club. Please give me your recommendations for a good rifle that I can buy and an approximate cost and recommended accessories. Thanks in advance.

i use my Super Brno 2500. basically its a 452 with a 28 & 1/4" bbl which was floated using a 2 cent washer. K Brooks supplied the $15 trigger parts and it holds its own against anything. perhaps for a gift-meself I'll do a pedersoli sight package. i shoot with glass [very old eyes] but my daughter is spot on with peeps.

rifle was $200 in 2004
nikon was 135 last year
pedersoli i'm guestamating +$250.
.............ua only go around once

I don't shoot benchrest myself, but my club holds ARA competitions and I check them out. From what I saw, most had a Anschutz action and prone stock (1411?), and put some other barrel on. The rests that they use are very intricate, and must cost as much as the rifles.

I shoot prone .22lr matches and use an Anschutz, very accurate rifle, and I would guess that 90% probalby use this brand. You can pick up a used one from MT Guns fairly resonable.

I have to agree with Cluade, every Brno I have had an opportunity to shoot was very accurate. I don't see many around anymore, but they were sure fine rifles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been made for a lot of years.

I have a CZ 452 also, probably the best value for a rifle that is right up there with the Anshutz in accuracy. I can sure see where you could make a ARA rifle out of it.

Last edited:
Well, you'll likely not ever find one, but my $6 dollar Connecticut Arms, Semi auto 22LR was the most accurate .22 I've ever shot up to 100 yards. All friggin day with a gun I paid $6 bucks for and shot for 20 years... It probably began life as a $20 dollar gun...

i shoot 22 benchrest at our club,it is a small get to gether once a month.about 10 shooters.we have shooters useing remington 40 x,winchester 52's anschutz and a few custom rifles that cost over 2000.00.
i shoot a anschutz with a weaver 36 power and have come in second a couple of times even shooting with the 2000.00 guns.
i think a good buy right now is the kimber through cmp.for 600.00 they are new and come with good set of sights.just add a scope and you will be ready to go.if for some reason you dont like benchrest you will always sell it and get your money back.you might get hooked and start spending big money like the big boys/
'

I shoot a 1930 Remington Target master with a 27 inch barrel I picked up a long time ago for $25 and refinished it.

That really makes them guys mad that have those $5,000 custom 22s they buy and they get beat by me

I tell them, "Its not how much the gun cost, It's who is shooting it"

Of course they get mad about that also but its a big laugh in the end :D

Then they all gather around looking at the gun saying stuff like, Gezzzzz I just can't believe that I got beat by a $25 rifle LOL

Here is probably the most accurate 22 you'll ever find, and it's less than 400 bucks.

http://www.savagearms.com/markiibtv.htm

I stumbled on this rifle by accident because I was looking for something to practice shooting offhand that wouldn't cost me the 40 cent/round that I had been spending practicing with my AR for service rifle competition. When I went to the local gun shop, I saw this one with a scope and it had a nice feel and a pistol grip like an AR so I thought that'll do; well it far exceeded my expectations.

First time I took it to the range and after I sighted it in, I shot 5 rounds off a bench using a sandbag and a scope and am inside 1/2 inch at 50 yards; and it isn't a fluke, it does it every time. I tried a few different brands of ammo but the Federal value pack target match ammo (325 round box) at Walmart works as good as anything.

Funny thing, I was willing to pay 1300 dollars for an Anschutz but not anymore, I know I couldn't shoot anything tighter than the groups this rifle does. Check this rifle out, it is amazing for the price range, hell for any price range.

Someone did a review on this rifle but I couldn't find it just now. As I recall, they had also said it was the most accurate 22 rimfire they had ever tested.

Ok I found the article, it was from Outdoor life here's an exerpt:

The Savage MK II .22 RF we tested proved to be not just the most accurate rimfire we tested this year, but the most accurate rimfire we've ever tested, including some high-dollar rifles of exalted European origin.

After the gun was sighted-in at 50 yards in a test tunnel, the first four 5-shot groups measured .191, .202, .263 and .260 inches, for an average of .229 inches. Yep, that's less than a quarter-inch! More remarkable is the fact that these tiny groups were fired with standard Remington/Eley ammo and an old lot of CCI Green Tag, neither of which are considered the ne plus ultra by accuracy fanatics. The smallest group of all was fired by team member Sam Arnett, who demonstrated his award-winning benchrest technique with a barely measurable .109 inches. By comparison, an eighth of an inch equals .125 inches, so go figure.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/gear/shooting/2008/06/gun-test-08?photo=6#41789783

:D:D

0612091537.jpg

Problem with 22's

The problem is you can't reload 22's. The more they cost the better they shoot. So a really expensive 22 rifle is only as good as the stuff you feed it. There are ways to fight this problem if you have the time and will. Sorting by rim thickness (headspace) will help a lot. Sorting for weight and keeping the lots together can also help. I shoot a Model 52 C Winchester with a 1 oz. Canjar trigger, a 36X Unertl and a tuner. It likes Ely 10X mostly the old stuff. With standard velocity cheap stuff it will not group under 1/2" inch at 50Yards. But by sorting and taking the time to look for the best of the cheap stuff it has shoot a few 2100 at ARA matches. Working hard with the expensive stuff it shot a couple of 2450. For a comparsion I shot a box of Remington standard stuff and got a 1425. So if you are serious it requires good equipment, ammunition and understanding of how the whole thing works togerher. Good luck, that also helps

great

the first four 5-shot groups measured .191, .202, .263 and .260 inches, for an average of .229 inches. Yep, that's less than a quarter-inch!
Wow. Those are tight groups. Nice to read stats like that.
Pete

I'm moving in that direction myself as well. I'll start with a Remington 513-T that shoots pretty good for things that require no scopes and my most accurate sporter which is either a TC Lynx or Remington 541-S. But these rifles aren't in the same league as the really high end target rifles. But you can still do pretty well.

I would say a good cheap start would be one of the Remington target model rifles. 513T, 521T, anything in a Remington target model. You could swing one of those for under $500. If you want to move up, go with the CMP rifles. Kimber 82, Remington 40x, Winchester 52, H&R, and Mossberg made one also. The H&R, Kimber, and Mossberg can be obtained for under $700. I have a Kimber that will shoot 199's out of 200 with Federal 711b. I haven't shot a 200 with it, but I know it is possible. Then you move to the big boys. The options are endless, so is the funding required to build one. I would say hands down, the best rifle for the money that will allow you to at least kinda hang with the big boys would be the Kimber 82 for under $700.

An Anschutz 64 MPR is a good platform. Anschutz 1" Rings are a good buy.
For a scope try a BSA 36X if you can find one, or for more money a T36 Weaver. For ammo Wolf MT is good for the money. If you go to Eley you will need Team or Black Box Match to match or exceed Wolf MT.

I have a T24 and a T36 Weaver I also have a 24X and a 36X BSA. At 50 yards the BSA works just fine on a 22. Not as high end, but the function is fine.

A CZ 452 Varmint is a good bet for Sporter. Needs Floated, Bedded, and some trigger work. I have an Automation Solutions Sear in my 22.

Bob

CZ and Brno

Ken O wrote:

I have to agree with Cluade, every Brno I have had an opportunity to shoot was very accurate. I don't see many around anymore, but they were sure fine rifles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been made for a lot of years.

I have a CZ 452 also, probably the best value for a rifle that is right up there with the Anshutz in accuracy. I can sure see where you could make a ARA rifle out of it.

Hi Ken, Brno is now called CZ, same rifle, different name.

Cheers from Oz.

Back