.22 cal J.C. Higgins Mod. 30, scope rings?

Cowdude

Inactive
I picked up a Mod. 30 (583.74 Sears & Robuck) JC Higgins a while back. It has a long dovetail on the top of the reciever, that apears to be about 1/4" at the groove. I'm trying to attach some 1" rings, and can't find anything to fit. I bought some 3/8" rings, thinking they would fit, but they are way too big.

Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks

The sears Model 30 is listed as a High Standard Pump. Any standard .22 scope and rings will fit the groves on your rifle.

It might be listed as a pump, but it is an auto loader.

I've tried Cheaper T. D., Opticplanet, Midway, Brownells, and have not seen any base that is 1/4" dovetail. Are the standard .22 base 1/4" dovetail?

Also, Steve, I did go to the site you suggested, but they were out of stock. They had no picture so I'm not sure if it was what I was looking for.

Thanks for the input.

That it is listed wrong is not unusual, There will never be a 100 per-cent accurate cross over list. However the 583 still makes it an in-house or High
Standard. Sears owned controlling interest in High Standard ( The old High Standard). Try www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com. If between those two you can't find what you need, well it may not be obtainable. These two outfits carry almost everything a beginner or professional would ever need. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I've tried all of the above but the smallest they had was 3/8" Dovetail mounts. This groove must be for a proprietary scope of theirs.

I think I'll try to mill the inside of the 3/8" rings to get them down to 1/4". This should offset the scope by only 1/16" which will be fine.

Again, thanks for all your help.

How I did it

This was a issue for me as well. What I did was simple. I stripped the ground wire from a short piece of 14/2 romex. Cut 4 5/8 long pieces, straighten them with a hammer. Stuck the 4 into the dovetail grove and tightened down 3/8ths scope rings. Worked like factory and took 5 minutes. Cost nothing and did not damage a thing. Hope this helps someone.

Back