22.cal 1911 converion kit

Enigma

I have seen a number of kits available to switch a 1911 over to 22 cal. Does any one here use them? Are they a good idea? What do you think?

Thanks and Happy Holidays everybody!!

I have for some years. The conversion kits I have are Colt products - I have no experience with other brands though I am considering getting one of the Ciener kits for an Officers Model.

The kits I have are reasonably accurate - about 2 inches at 25 yards with their favorite ammo. This seems to be about as good as it gets without custom work - though I've noticed an ad for Marvel's 1911 .22 Conversion that claims 1.25 inches or better groups at 50 yards. That would really impress me, but I'm not going to spend $350 to try one out.

I like them (the Colt kits) because of the floating chamber which simulates (creates?) recoil and thus makes using .22s in place of more expensive .45s more resonable for practice. But even with the floating chambers you're still a long way from comparable recoil with standard hardball.

The Ciener kits, I believe, have aluminum slides, but no floating chamber. Their shop info implies that using a lighter slide gives a similar impression of recoil as would a floating chamber - but I would think it would also substantially alter the balance of the gun. The Ciener kits are also advertised for the Commander and Officers frames.

As far as I know the Colt kits are sized only for the full sized 1911 frame. I have used them on a Commander frame but about 1/2 an inch of recoil spring shows. I've never had this lead to problems of feed or function, but admit a full length guide rod would have made me feel better. Even so, for less than sanitary conditions it leaves a large entrance for debris.

------------------
Jim Fox

I have had the Wilson (made by Ceiner) unit for about three years. It is quite accurate and compares well with my Wilson 1996-A2. It has an aluminum slide and the "feel" is a little different but not enough to matter for IDPA practice. I use it for "draw to first shot" practice and multiple target acquisition practice. Works for me.

Mikey

I think Ciener makes the conversion kits for Wilson and the Colt Ace II. They're all strictly blowback guns and only the early Colt Ace (like what Jim and I have) feature the floating chamber.

My brother has the Ciener (and he wishes he had my Ace conversion). It has problems with reliability which he finally solved...he now loads the magazines with 8 rounds instead of the recommended 10.

These kits can be ammo sensitive. My Ace likes the cheapie Fed copper plated stuff (550 for $9.50 at Walmart). It's the cleanest I've found for the price. The floating chamber of the Ace can get "welded" in by the lead and after a while, it stops floating. The lead has to be scraped away to restore its function.

My brother also found his Ciener to be ammo sensitive. Can't remember what brand he uses. If you're going Ciener, spend the extra money and get the adjustable sights.

Enigma:One other thought/FYI - Apparently there is not a lot of compatability on the magazines used in the different kits. Ciener explicitly says theirs can't be used with other kits. NRA (1972 printing of the Firearms Assembly II indicates that the Colt Ace (the full 1911 style .22) magazines won't work with the Colt Conversion kits. (Of course they say that the conversion kits won't work on a Commander - but, I'm like the bee that didn't read the engineer's report saying that it couldn't fly - and tried it with some success...)

Anyway - an FYI - since of course everyone wants more than one magazine...

I have the Ceiner Platinum kit for my .45. After breaking it in(I used a touch of fine compound to mate it to the frame)my unit shoots like a champ. If I had to do it over again I would still buy the Ceiner. By the way do a search on Ceiner and you might find several of the reports that are on the net about .22 conversions.

I have wanted to get a .22 conversion for my Gold Cup for years. Every time I would save up enough money for the kit and some extra magazines, I would buy another new pistol instead.
Then I shot my friends Ciener on a 1911 frame. It was really slick.
I'm waiting for my Platinum Cup kit and extra magazines now. They should be here by the end of the year. I'll let you know how it works out as soon as it gets here.
Another friend has a Colt Ace. He likes it except for the fact that he has to clean it about every 50 rounds. The floating chamber plugs up with lead and carbon. To me, that wouldn't be fun at all. I would expect to be able to fire 500 rounds before cleaning.

Neil Casper

Back