22 br?

tdoyka

i am begining to think that the 22br is the right choice for me. here's the deal... t/c encore, 24-26"mgm barrel, and 40-55 grain bullets (maybe 60-65 gr). the choice for me comes with 2 twist rate. 1 in 14" or 1 in 12" twist rates?
i'm just not sure which to go with....

yes the encore is worth it. brass will not fall apart, and the myiad of other questions.

2 16 1/4" mgm barrels 6.5 creedmoor and 20 vartarg, and a contender in 7x30 waters, i shoot them well.

i take any advice you can ponder!

I don't have a rifle in 22BR, but was just recently reading about the round in my Lyman 49th. I was wondering who, other than a target shooter, would want this particular cartridge. On the positive side, it pushes a 55 gr bullet about as well as a 222, or maybe a bit better than that. So...it is a capable round for hunting, except for the slow twist that the rifles will have. I couldn't shoot some of my favorite 223 bullets. Seems to me that if a fellow was more inclined to hunt than to just punch paper, he'd get that cartridge in a barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. As to your specific question on whether to go with a 1 in 12 or a 1 in 14, I'd probably go with a 1 in 12 and hope that I could at least stabilize a 60 gr Nosler BT (probably not, so...back to the 1 in 9 twist).

What matters is what YOU are going to do with that rifle in that cartridge. Are you a hunter or are you a target shooter? If you are a target shooter, I suspect you want the slow twist, so get the 1 in 12. If you are a hunter, then ditch the idea of a 22BR and get a 223 with a 1 in 9 twist. Yup...that's what I think.

My mistake...I was thinking about the 22PPC. That 22BR isn't far below a 22-250. I'd go with the 1 in 12 twist rate if that was the fastest twist option. That said, why buy a 22BR? Just get a 22-250. Brass will be much easier to find.

603country, i just want to not get a 22-250, i'm just into the 22br. ido like the 1 in 12" twist rate, just not sure. i own a savage model 12 in 223 rem.

The 22 Br uses appr 4/6 gr less power than the 22-250 does and Nosler has some pretty good loading data for the 22Br using 1/14 twist 24" long.

My 22Br barrel is 26" long also has 1/14 twist barrel and other case to consider is blowning out the 22br to 22 Dasher and that's a good one for the heavier VLD 22cal bullets.

I like the 1/14 twist barrels and I put a Kreiger on my 223 and Hart on 223AI. I put a 1/12twist on a 222AI just to be different and I've had real good luck with a custom 55gr bullet shooting varmints. Berger got those varmint 60g/64gr bullets for the 22 cal 1/12 twist barrels be good ones if going with 1/12 twist barrels.

Well good luck

Well, if the 22BR is your choice, go for it. It looks to have about the same velocity as the 224 Weatherby or the 225 Winchester, so it should be a fine varmint caliber. And it appears that Lapua and Norma make 6mmBR cases, so you have something to work with. That's a lot of work though, and if I wanted something different I'd probably lean toward a 224TTH, which is more of a hunting purposed cartridge. Anyway...sounds like fun, and I can understand the wanting 'something not a 22-250'. My personal 'not 22-250' is my 220 Swift.

Back