.22 bolt for Appleseed?

bpeezer

It seems that "Go to an Appleseed" is a pretty unanimous response when someone posts asking about improving their accuracy. I am interested in improving my accuracy as well, and I have heeded the advice of many!

That being said, I was planning on purchasing a Savage Mark II in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if that would be useful for the Appleseed. I read that a semi-auto was recommended. I'm still pretty unclear on how these events run, but they sound educational. Would the Savage work for me?

I haven't been to an Appleseed yet, so take my post FWIW, but what I've read is that they will work with you, whatever you bring, whether it's an auto or a bolt, but I got the impression that it's more set up for semis. I think they tend to focus a lot on shooting from the positions, shooting with a sling, and the impression I got (I may be wrong here) is that the preference is that you shoot irons, unless you really need the scope. If that's the case, you'd really want something similar to a military style set of sights with a rear aperture, like Tech Sights and some other manufacturers make. I don't know if there's anything like that for the Savage.

Again, this is just from the impressions I got from some things I read, quite a while back on the Appleseed site, and on forums, I could easily be mistaken on some of that, but I saw no one else had posted.

I think my next gun project will be a Ruger 10/22 set up to go do an Appleseed. I'd love to take my M1A, but I'd spend what the 10/22 would cost me, just in ammo.

Jason

I did one a couple months ago. There were a few guys with bolt actions and were doing fine. They give you plenty of time to get your rds off

The sight issue worries me. I was planning on using it with a scope...is the Appleseed like a competition, and they're worried that scopes give an unfair advantage? If that's the case, I'm quite sure that my shooting won't be putting anyone in jeopardy of "winning" anything.

The sight issue worries me. I was planning on using it with a scope...is the Appleseed like a competition, and they're worried that scopes give an unfair advantage? If that's the case, I'm quite sure that my shooting won't be putting anyone in jeopardy of "winning" anything.

I don't think it's anything like that, I just think the spirit of the project is to teach the fundamentals of the rifleman, which means being capable of hitting a man sized target out to 500 yds with irons. I'm pretty sure I've heard of other members going with a scope before.

Jason

My reply crosses the boundaries on a number of 22 rimfire posts. In my mind there is one and only one affordably priced bolt action 22 rifle filling my needs. It is the single and only bolt action 22 rimfire that remains in house. The Charles Daly Zastava 22 rimfire is one sweet shooter. Not true across the board. I did admire my first import so well I bought a second for a different purpose. I admit I did have trouble with the second, but the first is and was so very spot dead nuts on the miney as far as accuracy and maintenance. I tried the Remington version in 22 Mag when it came out, but it was a bummer. Technically, yes, the Kimber I had was more accurate across all four ranges, but it cost 5 times the price as the Daly/Zastava. Mine is certainly more accurate that I am capable of when shooting off-hand. It is quite capable of being a Sillhouette Trophy Winner if the shooter does his part. Yes I did have a Marlin bolt action that did shoot every bit as good or better at chickens and pigs, but it would drop out for turkeys and rams.

I guess I posted without thinking. I am not familiar with Appleseed. It could be that it requires a higher power center fire cartridge like a 30-06 or .308. Not sure about that detail. My post really centered on accuracy of a .22 bolt action rimfire. Truth is- I don't know what Appleseed is or if a .22 rimfire is suitable.

scopes are totally fine

i did my first with irons, and my second with a scope (both using a ruger 10/22)

i found the scope to be quite helpful, first because it allowed better target acquisition, but also because it magnified my flaws. it showed me just how much the tiniest difference in trigger squeeze can greatly effect the shot.

so yeah, get what makes you happy and go shoot an appleseed.

a 4x scope is just fine. i wouldnt go much higher than that

Shooting will be done from a distance of 25 yards.
Here is the link to there web sight, www.appleseedinfo.org

Back