22'' barrel vs 24'' barrel

dieselbeef

same twist. steel. eventually will be threaded for a can.

looking for a tikka 223 varmint rifle with 24 inch barrel. not a lot avail. everyones out of stock. the t3 lite is avail everywhere in the 22 inch barrel.

primary use will be long range targets for my son and fox and yote hunting likely around 300-400 yds. moa is acceptable

not looking for any other rifle comparisons just how much difference does the 2'' on the barrel length really make

Not enough to be an issue

What you really need to decide is the barrel profile and weight aspect.

Thinner barrel heats up faster and fewer shots and can be erratic even from first shot to next one. After 3 unless full cool down and even till a day waist they tend to be all over the map.

A heavy varmint is a pretty good compromise, but you pay the piper somewhat for those as well.

Cabellas has some Savage models built just for them that are awfully good bang for the buck as they have the Heavy Varmint barrels.

Thinner barrel heats up faster and fewer shots and can be erratic even from first shot to next one. After 3 unless full cool down and even till a day waist they tend to be all over the map.

The weight of a suppressor will make it even worse.

Even a 22" barrel is more than needed with 223. There is a far greater difference in the velocity between 2 individual guns with equal barrel lengths than 2" of barrel makes. A difference of around 25-50 fps is common and over 100 fps difference isn't unusual. You could very likely see a 22" gun shoot faster than another 24" gun. If you were to take a 223 with any barrel length with a known velocity and cut 2" off the barrel you might lose 25-30 fps.

well I got the tikka varmint with a 24''. whittakers had it for a great price too. I thought with the 223 much over 20 was wasted barrel but I keep thinking it will make it more accurate not faster.

fps isn't as bad as the bullet drop at 500 yds..my buddys scope dope app has it at like 50''...how close is the correlation between the 2?

I also ordered a cds from luepold in their vx2 line..once I get the caps made itll be a sweet setup . probly with a tip top bipod and someday suppress it

I thought with the 223 much over 20 was wasted barrel but I keep thinking it will make it more accurate not faster.

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy.

A shorter barrel of the same profile has a greater potential for accuracy. IMHO Long, thin, whippy barrels have the least potential for high level accuracy. Some of that is tempered by the power level of the cartridge. Lower power rounds like .223 don't suffer as much when shot through long, whippy barrels as hotrod rounds.
There is a significant velocity loss between 24" and 20" but only 1/2 as much 22 vs 24. My HOWA 24" .223 sends 40-50 grain bullets as fast as the case capacity will allow and that's what I want from it.

Quote:
I thought with the 223 much over 20 was wasted barrel but I keep thinking it will make it more accurate not faster.

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy.

based on all the precision long range rifles using carbine length barrels?

dieselbeef said:
based on all the precision long range rifles using carbine length barrels?

They use long barrels to squeeze out as much velocity as they can, but they ain't thin whippy sporter barrels, either. You wouldn't want to haul one of those around on an elk hunt. ;)

Barrel length vs. accuracy? This oughta give some food for thought:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

My limited .223 experience with a bolt action has been with a Ruger 77 Mk II. 22" barrel. 1/2-MOA groups. Plenty good on a couple of prairie dog hunts. We just drove around the pasture, so I never bothered with anything beyond 300 yards.

good read..kept em interested..ive read it before..ill read it again..

21 3/4..doesnt seem like it would be the magic number to end all. otherwise rifles would only come in that. wouldn't all manuf want to be the most accurate..cuz most of em claim such already

I have the longer. can always go shorter to make for a can or brake I guess. cant go longer.

I might've gotten off cheaper buying the shorter one but ive seen nothing but awesome reviews on the tikka 24'' so I got it. nobody can keep them in stock. they sell as fast as they come in.

we shall see. its my first real endeavor into anything over 150yds and I plan to try this one to 500...just to see if I can. ican ge it well broken in on my own range at almost 300 yds so itll be easier to work out.

A longer barrel can make the rifle more accurate simply because it reduces velocity variation from shot to shot. So, yes and no, a longer barrel can make a rifle more accurate. Won't gain any significant velocity past 22" in a 223, but reduce variation can make it more accurate at longer ranges.

I have 2 different AR15 uppers that I frequently shoot out to 600 yds. I have my 20" match service rifle and my 24" Bushmaster free floated Varmint. Both are very accurate. There is NO measurable difference in accuracy between the two. The only measurable difference is I get about another 125 fps of velocity shooting identical loads through the 24" barrel. My 24" bbl is really too long for my needs. I have plans in the future to remove the 24" barrel and swap out to a 20" so I can shoot the newly proposed NRA Midrange Tatical Rifle class.

So, barrel length has little to do with accuracy. If I want to build an accurate AR15 in 223/556 what do I have to get?

I am a complete newb to the AR platform although I have been shooting bolt rifles for over 50 years. The gun will be used for three gun competition.

if barrel length doesn't matter then why offer a 24''..or anything ove a carbine.seems stupid to spend 1000$ on a barrel 24'' long for no gain.

I call speculation.....some calibers wont benefit by longer barrels as the push runs out before the barrel ends....but not many..and only a chronograph can prove it accompanied by long distance shooting

Added barrel length does matter to velocity and sight radius if you are using iron sights. Like any other commodity peoples individual preference enters into the sales figures too. Some people want a two door and others want a four door. You sell that which sells.

Back