.22 amo purchase law question

Hueco

Do you have to be 21 to purchase this? I read on a site that specializes in .22 that it is considered handgun ammunition and therefore one must be 21 to buy. What about local stores?? I live in Missouri. Thanks!

Hueco

Technically the answer is yes, it is considered handgun ammunition therefore you must be 21. Here in Missouri retailers ask if it's going to be used in a handgun or rifle. They may then ask for an ID to verify age. Places that have automatic scanners (such as Wal-Mart) have a flag warning to verify age before sale. Then if you're underage, they can nullify the sale.

I was in a Kmart here in Ore"gun" trying to buy some Winchester SuperX 22lr ammo. The lady at the counter almost wouldn't give it to me because she thought I could put in a handgun. I am over 21 now, but it took alot of convincing her that I wasn't going to go hold up the bank with my 10/22. She finally let me have it.

[This message has been edited by dent guy (edited December 20, 1999).]

Whoa, wait one minute. How does it even begin to concern her what you are going to use the ammo for? Was she an LEO?? Why is it, that when crimes are committed that everybody BUT the committer of the crime is held solely responisble. The gun, the seller, the parents, the drinking, the drugs, the.....it goes on and on. What happened to "if you shoot someone you get shot" policy in this country? It was not correct for that woman to question your motive.

Hueco

I agree with the notion that it shouldn't matter to the seller what we intend to use it for, however, retalers of ammunition are bound by law and corporate policy and in order to keep their job, and continue to provide for their family (as well as stay out of court/jail) they have to at least make an effort to comply with the rules. Say for example, a 19 year old kid gets caught shooting at mail boxes with a handgun and a box of 22LR. When asked by the police where he got it, he says,"oh, the lady at WallMart sold it to me", the police would no doubt drop by to pay her a visit. If she can say that he told her it was for a rifle, what can they do? If, on the other hand, she says,"I didn't think it was any of my business" she'd be in some hot water. Even worse if someone had been hurt by the kids actions. Don't attack the retailers for trying to comply with the rules/laws. If it really bothers you, go after the ones MAKING the rules/laws, and have them changed. Especially since there's nothing that says they HAVE to sell ammo. If the customers buying it are the ones making a scene and refusing to allow them to comply, it might be easier to simply drop those items from inventory. Before you get upset at someone, step back and make sure your frustration is being directed at the RIGHT people, the ones who can actually make the changes.
-Spyderman

[This message has been edited by Spyderman (edited December 21, 1999).]

I now see the point. Thank you for pointing it out to me in a clear way. Ahh, the passion of youth. No wonder they all want 18 year olds to fight in wars. haha

Hueco

Hey, I'm 15 and I bought two boxes of CCI's at Wal-Mart yesterday. Surprised me. There was an older man behind the counter who just chose "yes" when the computer asked if I was over 21. I won't complain, and I've already shot it all....Have to go get some more...

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

You must not "look" like a criminal then. I am still a bit upset and frustrated at this "censoring" of purchases. I believe that the comitter of the crime and that person alone is responsible for their actions. My goodness, analyze that statement and you affirm it. It is *their" actions. Now of course, i do disagree with say, selling 9mm ammo to a 17 year old. But if there is any change of action or sale based on possible buyer-intentions, then I say that rights are being infringed. If the person is of legal age, then of course he should be able to buy any ammo, any time. Concerning .22 being classified as handgun ammo, i have no problem with that. So far as the limitations of purchase are results of law...fine. But I strongly disagree with any questioning as to what the ammunition will be used in or for. We must remember, for a true criminal, lying is simply a formality. He doesn't care about lying to a distributor to get what he needs. Hear me, if an 18 plans to use .22 in a handgun for some illegal purpose, then he will break a moral law in order to break the legislated law. This is why I believe it is necessary to simply follow the law, and not "add-on" to it our own requirements or suggestions. Thanks for listening. Merry Christ*mas.

Hueco

Back