22-250

chipchip

Would a 22-250 be adequate for coyotes out to 300yds. Plan on getting a sporter rifle with a VXlll 3.5x10. Thought it would make a good walking varmiter.

300 yards is about where the 22-250 comes into it's own. You're good out 600 at least. At that distance or a little more, depending on the load, you'll start to have problems with the bullet going sub-sonic and the attendant fall off of accuracy.

chipchip:

more then adequate for 300 yards, i know folks who use their 22-250s for 400-600 yard pest controll.

are you planning on using this gun for hunting exclusively? because if you plan on doing target shooting or fun plinking with it too, the 22-250 is a bad choice! Why? Because after 4000-6000 shots at the latest, your barrel will be gone. If you shoot 50 rounds a week, after 2 years the barrel is worn out, if you shoot 25 a week you have 4 years and so on.
I had a 22-250, a cz, used it for long range plinking, after 9 months accuracy startet dropping from sub moa to 2-3 moa. i took it to the gunsmith, he took a look down the barrel and asked "how many rounds have gone down this barrel" me: "roughly 5000" he looked at me lifted an eyebrow and said "and youre wondering why accuracy is gone? Son, thats a 22-250..."

What Bear said is probably true...

But the cost of a new barrel is small compared to the cost of 5000 rounds of 22-250... even if you reload. With factory ammo, the cost of a new barrel is a drop in the bucket.

300 yards no problem. Shot a coyote at 406 yards and have confidence it would stretch out another 100 no problem.
coyote.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on using it for coyote hunting only. Not to worried about burning out the barrel. Thinking of putting a Leupold VXlll 3.5x10 boone and crocket. Don't want to mess with AO. What do ya think.

4-6000

I'd think 4-6000 rds would be about the life of near any standard barrel chambered for a high intensity ctg, at least from a varmint accuracy standpoint. I guess stainless and slow rate of fire one could go more.

To 300, a 22-250 is near laser flat. I'd get it. The extra reach is a bonus. If you buy a .223, you will always muse that "I'd not shot under that critter with a faster rifle."

I plan on using it for coyote hunting only. Not to worried about burning out the barrel. Thinking of putting a Leupold VXlll 3.5x10 boone and crocket. Don't want to mess with AO. What do ya think.

I'm getting ready to put one of those scopes on a 7-08. I think they make them both with and without adjustable objectives. It's between the B & C or a CDS model.

Leupold doesn't offer AO on the 3.5-10x. I plan on getting the VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS for the .257 Weatherby Magnum I have coming.

The CDS is great. I have it on one of my VX-2 4-12x 40 AOs. I'm waiting to hear back from them how much it would be to add it to my other one.

My two main coyote rifles is a 22-250 and a 223.

I'm shooting 55 gr bullets in both, the 22-250 speed wise is right at 3600 fps, the 223 speed wise is a little over 3300 fps, so there's not a big difference in them.

I limited my shots to 400 yards with either of the above calibers and move up to a bull barrel 243 when I'll be making longer range shots.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

.22-250 is plenty for yotes.
If you hand load the .270 with light bullets, you can achieve a similar trajectory to the .22-250 and .204 ruger. The .270 will be able to take larger game, which is why I consider it more versatile. Ammo cost between the cartridges is about the same.

My predator rifle is a purpose built Savage 10xp in 223 with a high quality Docter 3x9. I never shoot out past 400 yards and my optics are maxed at that point but clear enough to push it a little farther. I am in a mountainous terrine so even 200 yard shots are rare on predators. High quality clear optics trump a cheaper high magnification optics.

If you only plan to shoot to 300, then I wouldn't spend the extra on a B & C reticle. That 22-250 will pretty much be a dead hold, maybe slightly over at 300. The B & C is calibrated for 500 yards with windage correction for 10 mph.

I've had several 1/4 mile first shot coyote kills with the 22/250 and one first shot hit at a measured 3/10 of a mile(that's about 525 yards) These were before the now common range finders were available. That's where the flat trajectory of the 22/250 gives you the advantage. I've killed quite a few coyotes that thought they were far enough away to be safe and simply sat watching me set up.

Back