210 or 250 grain bullet for Elk ??

Bottom Gun

My luck held and I was drawn for a cow elk tag again this year. I plan to use my new .338 Win Mag.
Last year I wasn't entirely satisifed with the way my 30/06 peformed on elk, so this year I picked up the .338.

I've loaded two hunting loads, one with 210 grain bullets and one with 250 grainers. Both are Nosler partition bullets.

I'm trying to decide which load to hunt with. I'm leaning toward using the 210 gr since, in addition to being easier on my shoulder, they shoot a bit flatter and group a little better than the 250's.

These Arizona cow elk avaerage about 500 lb.

Am I making a mistake by choosing the lighter bullets?

Thanks in advance,

Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun. Either one should work just fine. Go with the one you like best although my preference would be for the heavier bullet.
Just curious, which area did you draw? I got cow elk in area 1 this year. I've been considering my .338 Mag. as well as my .35 Whelan. Haven't made up my mind which will be the primary rifle and which the backup. Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!
Good luck on your hunt.
Paul B.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. I think I'll go with the 210 gr. I feel a bit more comfortable with it. If I were hunting the larger bulls, I'd probably opt for the 250's.

We were drawn for the Oct 5 hunt in 5B South. I'll most likely hunt near Soldier and Tremaine Lakes.

This should be a good year for elk. My bow hunter friends currently hunting in unit 5A tell me the bulls are bugling now, but the cows aren't responding yet so maybe the rut will go on a little later this year.

Good luck on your hunt as well, Paul. Let us know how you do.

Ken

Bottom Gun. I drew area 1, and will be, most likely around Mexican Hat or Big Lake. Opens Oct 19. Real nice country. I wouldn't mind moving up that way and get away from the big city life. I lived for 10 years in Winnemucca, NV, and just loved it. Got so I liked being away from the maddening crowds, especially with all the eastern liberals moving in and trying to make Tucson NYC West. I tell them, if you don't like our way of life, try about 300 miles to west. The peoples Republic of California will welcome you with open arms. Leave us alone.
Have a good hunt.
Paul B.

I use a 180 in my 06's, 250 in the 338.I've never had a problem with either on elk. Still a believer that shot placement harvests more than energy anf long range.LOL
Dan

Molon Labe!. No, I don't make fun of Californians. Used to be one myself. Left in late 1970, with only occasional short visits to the rest of the family who were too stubborn to leave. After my Dad died five years ago, I've had absolutely no reason to return. No family left. :(
I sure wish the gun owners in California would get their act together and get rid of Boxer, Feinstein, et al. Maybe lynch the "Guv" and legisature or something.
I had several reasons for leaving when I did. Every time I went to the range, some busybody would call the cops because they saw me loading my rifles into my car. I never got out of the driveway without being stopped and searched. Whay really got my goat, was it was usually the same cops that came, every time, and they were real anti's. Sometimes they'd hold me up for as long as two hours before finally letting me go on my way.
The other reason? My girl friend moved to nevada, so that was the final excuse to leave. We married a year late and celebrated out 33rd wedding anniversary last July. :D Guess I did something right.;)
Paul B.

I hate anti's, i hate our 'guv' and I hate all of californias goverment, the thing that bothers me worse is that most militias said before red davis that if their freedoms were threatened they would fight for it. Whats happening now?!?! I think that the militias should stand up and fight. Every once in a while patriots should shed blood for there freedom. The only people that die that are considered to be 'patriots' are criminals that killed somebody or did some other such act. Most people that have or live in california hate police, I know police that are good. Own assualt weapons, that DO not belong to the dept. And most people that registered say they are save, just because they know a LEO.

Back