20ga. slug barrels

Brutus

Thinking of picking up a slug barrel for my 870.
Should I go with a Remington or are their better third party options available Hastings as an example?
Smoothbore or rifled?
Is it true that a saboted .45 slug through a rifled barrel is about the equivalent of a 300gr. 45/70 ( read this somewhere awhile back)?
which provides the best accuracy?
Can saboted components be purchased for reloading?
Thanks in advance.

A rifled barrel using sabot slugs will normally give you better accuracy (i.e. longer range). With a 20ga, you are really talking about a 100 yd gun anyway. I've seen some smoothbore guns shoot really decent groups when pared with the right slug - you just have to play around to find the brand it really likes.

I searched for a rifled/cantilevered barrel for my 870. I only found Remington barrels. I got mine from Midway on clearance, $175 with a cheap scope NIB. I ditched the scope for a Nikon Omega 1.5x6. The scope was overkill for the 20ga since its designed to handle the recoil of a muzzle loader but I feel its worth it to keep my zero dialed in.

If your going to use a scope, get the cantilever barrel, the saddle mounts will not hold zero since the barrel floats on a pump. Remington also offers a rifled barrel with rifle sights.

I recommend a rifled barrel and sabot slugs if a slug gun is what you want. I cant speak for ballistics, its not my expertize. I'm sure someone will chime in and give an opinion.

My gun shoots the most accurate with Hornady SST Sabots, they are expensive though. I also have good luck keeping a tight group with the Federal Fusion 3" Sabots. The Hornady's will consistently hold a 2" group at 100yds

My 20ga 870 slugster;
IMG_20141126_233016_208.jpg

I have a H&R Topper 20 gauge. I think it has a full choke, but I honestly don't know. I have shot bird shot out of it hunting.

Can I shoot Federal rifled slugs out of it?

Can I shoot steel shot (waterfowl)?

I have a 12 gauge to do most of my shotgun work, but this 20 gauge was from my grandfather. I would like to use it every now and then if possible.

Improved Cylinder is best for rifled/foster slugs. I can't answer for the steel shot question as we do not have any waterfowl around here to hunt.

Back