20g Slug Barrel

Morgoroth

I'm looking for a slug barrel for my 20g Moss 500.
And the difficult part is not finding one, so much as finding one that is not almost as expensive as a new gun. So I have a couple questions.
Is it ok to buy a barrel used, and if so, where would be a good place to look?
If not, what are some trusted sites you guys would suggest to get one?

Since it will have to be ordered either way, I figure getting it off of the net and having it shipped to me, is just as good of an option.

Best place for used would be either a decent gun show or a PAWN (damn ten thumbs!) shop. Barrel can show some honest wear, but if it looks like it has been used a jack handle, I would pass. No cracks, dents, bulges, etc. would be normal considerations

Last edited:
Man I might have to check my local lawn shops big d ;) (just kidding I know what you meant). Also eBay might not be a bad spot to look

Are you looking for smooth bore or rifled. I bought a smooth bore with rifled sights for just over a hundred, but that was a few years ago.

Pick up a "Shotgun News" paper. I had dealt with an outfit that had hundreds of barrels (New and used) that advertised in there. The name escapes me, as it has been a while. Over the years I have gotten some seriously good deals from there.

As the owner of a 20 ga Mossberg 500 with the Trophy Slugster barrel topped with a Nikon Slughunter, let me throw you another option.

For not a lot more, you could get an H&R slug gun in 20 ga. By all accounts, it will shoot more accurately than the 500.

Google "American Slugshooting Association" for a plethora of dedicated slug shooting info.

Back