.204 ruger barrel length

butta9999

Gday,

i have a question about barrel length for the .204 ruger. Im looking at buying the Tikka Varmint Stainless but have just found out it only comes in a 24" barrel.

What sort of velocity drop can i expect from a 24" barrel? Compared to a 26" barrel

Do i look for a rifle with a 26" barrel?

Odds are that the difference will not be important enough to matter. Maybe, if you're after absolute max performance, but for "normal" prairie dog and coyote hunting, no big deal.

I agree with Art. Unless you want to set a speed record the extra 2" isn't going to do much for normal shooting.

Thanks ART, i always love the advice from a moderator:)

Buzzcook, i love the confidence thanks.

Also can either of you answer this, i have had no reply on the Accessories thread:confused

Will the Nightforce Picatinny Rail fit the Tikka Varmint.

I ask this because im putting a deposit on this rifle tomorrow.

"Will the Nightforce Picatinny Rail fit the Tikka Varmint."

If and only if Nightforce has the mounting holes located such that it will fit the locations on the Tikka. I suggest emailing Nightforce. Midway shooters' supply only shows that rail for Remington 700s and Savage.

Not knowing what scope you'll be using: I've never had any sort of problem at all with Weaver bases and rings. Not saying they're "best"; many others just as good, but they work and don't cost as much as many others. I've "tested" them for some sixty years, so far. :D

My guess on the speed difference is 75fps, max, most likely about 30-50.

Consider, that bullet is doing nigh on 4,000fps at 24". It's going to cover the next two inches in .00004167 seconds. Even with the roughly 10-15,000 psi still pushing it, it's not going to gain much in that time.

I agree that you will love the round. I have a Ruger M77 MkII in .204 that consistently prints 1/2 MOA groups on a bad day. No recoil, low muzzle blast.

Awesome round.

Back