.204 CZ 527 scope mounting problem

bean357

My husband has a CZ 527 varmint in a .204, and he put a Weaver V-24 scope on it with millet rings. At 50 yards with the scope elevation turned all the way up, it still shoots 8 inches low. He took it to our local gunsmith yesterday, and the smith said to shim the scope up between the scope and the rings. I am wondering if this might really solve the problem or might it just dent the scope tube when the rings are tightened? Since the CZ is dovetailed with no bases, there is no chance of shimming bases up.
Any advice or suggestions?
Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
It shouldn't damage the scope if you don't over-tighten the rings.

And from what you say, you really only have 3 options that I can see:

1. Shim the rings
2. Get a new scope with LOTS more adjustment. Probably have to shim that one, anyway.
3. Have the gunsmith put in a new scope mount with some offset built in.

I'll add one more--contact CZ. I've never heard of a production rifle with standard rings, being that far off. Might be a manufacturing defect.

First, check to see whether the top of the integral bases is square. Use a machinist's ruler. Then, check the mounted rings to see if they are square with eachother. Reverse them if necessary. Third, lap the rings. Millet rings are not the best quality, and CZ is no benchrest rig. Things will never align perfectly. If it is still off, then the scope is at fault.

Back