2006 Remington 700 Classic

ATMICH

Inactive
I have a few questions for any of you gun smiths and gun experts out there. Last night I just saw the program "Remington Under Fire" on CNBC. My son has a Remington 700 Classic that was purchased in May of 2006. According to the program, I assume that this rifle has the Walker trigger system in it and not the X pro system introduced in 2007. It does have the safety system that allows you to unload the chamber with the safety in the safe position. Based on the information from the program, I take it that this rifle is still included to be in the unsafe group that could suddenly fail and discharge at anytime. Is this true? If so, is there a fix and or can the trigger system be changed out for the X pro system? Are the two trigger systems interchangeable? Is there anything other than extra safe handling of the firearm that could be done? We take great care of our firearms and make sure they are clean and free of dirt and rust at all times. We have never had any problems to date with it, but I would not like to have any surprises. We also treat every firearm as if it could fail without notice at anytime. Can anyone advise? One finial note. A special thanks to CNBC and all the people involved in bringing this information to light. Also a prayer and deepest sympathy to all the families that lost a family member or persons that were injured by this situation.

ive got to chuckle at the whole thing. Ive owned a bunch of 700s though the years and have used them more then all the rest of the brands combined and have never had a single problem with them. If you cant unload a rifle safely maybe you should be in the woods anyway! What we need is about 10 more safteys put on every gun so some yuppy doesnt hurt himself. Well maybe not theres something to be said for the Gods way of weeding out the dumb asses.

The Remington 700 series rifles are fantastic. Rugged, durable, accurate, nicely made. I had one in 22-250 - excelent quality rifle.

ATMICH, from what you post, I seriously doubt you'll have any problems with your Remington. The trigger, just like the rest of your rifle is a machine. If you properly take care of the machine, it will last and last. If youre really concerned about the trigger system, canjar, timney and a few other folks make replacement triggers which you could have fitted to the rifle.

Unfortunately the General Discussion thread referred to about the 700 trigger, despite its lengthiness, does not give a conclusion one way or the other regarding which 700s from old to brand new are affected.
Unfortunately rem.com doesn't give an answer either regarding which rifles might be affected.
I left a question on the General Discussion forum to a Remington worker in Alaska and he has yet to reply concerning my own specific 700 CDL with X Pro Trigger.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the last limited production , 700 classic rifle was produced in 2005, and it was chambered in .308 winchester.

to hammie and the others

You are correct hammie. It is a .308 Winchester, 700 classic REM., that I finally located and purchased in May of 2006 for my son's birthday. And yes, it was produced for the year 2005. I am sorry that I left that part out. They went fast and were very difficult to find. To all the others, thanks for your input. I basically feel I don't have anything to worry about with the rifle failing. I have taught my son's well on how to care for, maintain, and handle firearms. I do not anticipate any problems. I was just looking to find more info on the subject and if needed, a repair method from other than a bias manufacture. I have dealt directly with Remington before and was missed lead.
Thanks for all the comments.

The one question they failed to ask of any one, and did not make clear is if any of the rifles that had problem were modified. Also they failed to make clear that the new xmark pro trigger which was introduced in 2007 is of a different design and has a firing pin block. They made it seem like all 700s including new ones were prone to mishaps, but they accomplished what they set out to do, spread fear and doubt about an American firearm maker.

See Remington's response at www.Remington700.tv

For nearly fifty years, the Remington Model 700 rifle has been the preferred choice for millions of hunters, shooting sports enthusiasts and military and law enforcement personnel. For Remington’s response to CNBC, visit www.Remington700.tv.

You can replace your standard Remington trigger with a Timney for just over $120, and not too much trouble. It is highly unlikely that you have have the walker "trick trigger" as those were phased out long ago.

I on the other hand, would not change the trigger unless I was looking for an improved pull weight or feel. Don't be suckered into this obvious liberal hit-piece. There was only one conclusion that CNBC was trying to lead their audience into, and it was not public safety.

Read carefully through CNBC's transcript of the show and you will see at the bottom of the piece that they want nothing more of less than more government control over the firearms industry.

From the CNBC transcript
Conclusion

"If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective Remington Model 700 or 710 rifle, contact an experienced attorney today. Without federal protections to keep consumers safe from defective firearms, it is up to the legal system to fulfill this important role and provide this protection."

Without federal protections to keep consumers safe from defective firearms, it is up to the legal system to fulfill this important role and provide this protection."

Thank you gglass, that shows the smell of CNBC's article and it smells like,,,

Back