2004 Remington Mountain Rifle Package - Scope Question

USAF Ret

I purchased a new 2004 Remington Mountain LSS in 270 Win (bolt face looks new like it has never been fired). It sat in a collectors safe I guess from the time it was bought.

I was planning on changing out the glass for a Sig Sauer Tango 4-12x44. Talking to my gunsmith, he said the scope that came on it was a package deal. It has a stainless color Bushnell 3x9. I can't see them putting cheap glass on a rifle package like that. Has me wondering whether I want to leave it as is.

Does anyone know about what type of scopes they would be putting on Remington packages in 2004?

Attachments

• Remington 700(2).jpg
    Remington 700(2).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 721
I would look at something like a Leupold VX-5HD. They are light, have decent features and glass. A great fit to your mountain rifle.

A bit fancier is the Vortex FFP LHT!

Even fancier is a March!

I can't see them putting cheap glass on a rifle package like that.

Unfortunately, they do. I wouldn't trust it. While the glass may be clear enough, I would be more concerned about it holding up to recoil, and wet weather. In other words, it may work perfectly right up until it doesn't work at all. And that may be 10 rounds, or 1000 rounds.

Another thing, while it may be NIB, it is still nearly 20 years old. The rubber seals in optics will start to degrade over time regardless of use.

For range use or backyard meat hunting where you wouldn't be upset over a missed opportunity it may be just fine. But I wouldn't trust it for an expensive out of state trophy hunt.

Unfortunately, they do. I wouldn't trust it. While the glass may be clear enough, I would be more concerned about it holding up to recoil, and wet weather. In other words, it may work perfectly right up until it doesn't work at all. And that may be 10 rounds, or 1000 rounds.

Another thing, while it may be NIB, it is still nearly 20 years old. The rubber seals in optics will start to degrade over time regardless of use.

For range use or backyard meat hunting where you wouldn't be upset over a missed opportunity it may be just fine. But I wouldn't trust it for an expensive out of state trophy hunt.
Great input. Thank you!

I purchased a new 2004 Remington Mountain LSS in 270 Win (bolt face looks new like it has never been fired). It sat in a collectors safe I guess from the time it was bought.

I was planning on changing out the glass for a Sig Sauer Tango 4-12x44. Talking to my gunsmith, he said the scope that came on it was a package deal. It has a stainless color Bushnell 3x9. I can't see them putting cheap glass on a rifle package like that. Has me wondering whether I want to leave it as is.

Does anyone know about what type of scopes they would be putting on Remington packages in 2004?
Your rig...

but a 4-12x44mm sounds like a lot of glass for a .270 Win LtWt Mountain rifle.

Have a light 2.5-8x36mm in Talley LtWt mounts, tucked low on a LtWt M70/.270 Win, and have never had it over 6x in the field.

A 100 yd./6" game target, at 6x, gets one to 600 yards.

Something to think about.

Red

Your rig...

but a 4-12x44mm sounds like a lot of glass for a .270 Win LtWt Mountain rifle.

Have a light 2.5-8x36mm in Talley LtWt mounts, tucked low on a LtWt M70/.270 Win, and have never had it over 6x in the field.

A 100 yd./6" game target, at 6x, gets one to 600 yards.

Something to think about.

Red
I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. The extra zoom capability helps a lot.

That's going to be a cheap scope. I've gotten Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 and they've been great. Also recommend Vortex Rings.

At the time I bought my 2-matte blued Rem-mtn rifles they came stocked in handsome walnut. I don't recall if there were stainless or blued scope packages offered back then.
I mounted Leupold Vari X-3s on both. Switched-out there original triggers with factory
pre-set Timneys at 2-1/2 lbs. ___"Sweet shooters they both are (270 & 25-06.)"

That's going to be a cheap scope. I've gotten Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 and they've been great. Also recommend Vortex Rings.
I have that very scope on my 6.5 Grendel and was thinking the same. Shooting it for the first time tomorrow, so I will have some feedback.

At the time I bought my 2-matte blued Rem-mtn rifles they came stocked in handsome walnut. I don't recall if there were stainless or blued scope packages offered back then.
I mounted Leupold Vari X-3s on both. Switched-out there original triggers with factory
pre-set Timneys at 2-1/2 lbs. ___"Sweet shooters they both are (270 & 25-06.)"
I tell you, the trigger on the Remington is light and crisp. Not sure of the previous owner replaced it or not. I did check to make sure it didn't fall under the recall. Dodged a bullet (pun intended). It was an 04. Recall started in 06. I am hoping this will be my favorite rifle to shoot. Right now my Christensen Mesa in 308 is hands down my favorite rifle. I got about 4 different types of ammo to see what it likes. Will be testing that out tomorrow and also to see if I need to change the scope, which I am really leaning toward. Vortex Diamondback, Sig Whiskey 3 or a Leupold VX-Freedom...all 4-12x40.

You really never know about scopes. Many years ago I bought a cheap $29.95 Tasco to stick on a rifle I wanted to try out but not necessarily keep. The rifle's gone but I still have that scope. It's been on .22LR all the way up to .375 H&H rifles and is still going strong. I think it's on a 30-06 right now.

On the other hand, one scope I bout, a $600 job from Germany was broken on delivery. I will say the company made it good. I have had three Leupolds turn toes up. Two at the range so no big deal and one on an elk hunt. That one just happened to quit at the range at the Whittington Center in New Mexico the day before the hunt. I guess it didn't like riding my .35 Whelen. I had a nice 30-06 I brought along as back up and it served just fine.
I've used mostly the less expensive scopes, not so much by choice but financial circumstances. Except for the scopes mentioned above, I've gotten quite decent service from most. There have been a few lemons. Guy sold me a Remington rifle with a Weaver marksman scope. I removed it and threw it away. Off and on I've picked up rifle that had them mounted and found then hard to sight in and most turned toes up early on. These days, if a rifle I buy has one on it, it goes in the trash.
Paul B.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was able to get out and shoot yesterday. The rifle is a tack driver with Norma Whitetail, sub MOA. Decent with Remington Core-Lokt. Absolutely hated Winchester Deer Season XP.

Definitely replacing the scope. It works. Glass is okay. But I want more zoom and a bit clearer glass. Changed my mind on the trigger after I shot about about a box of ammo. My Christensen has really turned me into a trigger snob.

Thinking of going with a Timney or Trigger Tech. Any thoughts on trigger replacement? Would like to have it down to about 2.5-3lbs. Off the cuff, that trigger felt like it was in the 4-5lb range. One or two stage?

I shot a new AR-10 with a Geissele 2-stage trigger and that is one of the best triggers I have ever felt on a rifle.

I won a 700 rem in 300 win mag, it came with a Remington marked scope,which I suspect was either Bushnell or a Tasco.
Based on the markings, I think mine was an old Bushnell Trophy. Love the stainless barrel, but for hunting, I don't need a super shiny scope as well.

Putting a Sig Whiskey3 4-12x40 on her. Also have the gunsmith installing a Trigger Tech trigger set at around 3 lbs. Should be good deer and elk medicine.

Scopes fog up in cold weather because the air inside shrinks as it cools and any little air leak can suck outside moisture into the tube. If a person doesn't trust the scope's ability to prevent moisture intrusion, but isn't fogged yet, the rifle/scope combo should be placed overnight in a cool dry place that's as cold as it might get when hunting, then transport it in a case to keep it cold.

Well, had a trigger tech trigger installed and mounted a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12x40mm. The medicine is good.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 270(2).jpg
    270(2).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back