200 grain ftx in 454 casull

nhyrum

Has anyone run into data for this bullet? It was designed for the 460 s&w, still .452 bullet diameter, so it fits, and will hold up.

I can't find any data on anything lighter than 240, which I know is light, but it would be nice to have some "lighter" loads. They're going in a Taurus raging judge magnum, so I'll have plenty of room in my cylinder for the longer tip

Plus I just bought a box of the bullets. Could load them 45 colt though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a 460 and the 200 is very accurate. H110 powder works the best in the 460 so I would think the same would be true in the 454. FYI: this was from 100 yards.

460-200FPX.jpg

You need to test this bullet...I have had miserable luck with them as the core and jacket tends to seperate...too often for me.

You need to test this bullet...I have had miserable luck with them as the core and jacket tends to seperate...too often for me.
It's designed to be driven hard, saleen322 is using them atop 50 grains of h110. About 20 more grains than I put behind any other bullet in the 454.

The other ftx's, yah I could see them causing problems, but... look at that group at 100 with a MASSIVE revolver!

It's designed to be driven hard, saleen322 is using them atop 50 grains of h110. About 20 more grains than I put behind any other bullet in the 454.

The other ftx's, yah I could see them causing problems, but... look at that group at 100 with a MASSIVE revolver!

I did not say they weren't accurate...I meant in penetration, the bullet has not held together well. If you are only going to shoot targets, no problem...but hunting could present a problem.

I did not say they weren't accurate...I meant in penetration, the bullet has not held together well. If you are only going to shoot targets, no problem...but hunting could present a problem.
Fair.

But wouldn't the 460 be EVEN FASTER, and hence come apart as well in target?

Would you mind sharing a min load so I can start somewhere? VV's website has data for 195's which is close, but of course use only their powders.

I did email Hornady. We'll see what they say

Last edited:
shootniron is correct, While the 200 FTX is very accurate outta a .460, it tends to have explosive expansion terminally. While it would work great for paper and varmints, for deer size game and larger, one needs something else. I shot a deer at close range with one once when I first got my .460 and it blew up on the shoulder, making for a huge mess and a long bloodtrail. When shooting them into a sand berm, they flatten to a perfect circle the thickness of a pop can. They are spendy little things too for what they do.

As stated by shootiniron and buck460xvr the 200 grain FTX is unsuitable for use on game animals. Not saying it won't kill, it does but the bullet opens to fast in my experience and damages a lot of meat. I have added a photo to show the terminal effect on 150 pound hog. This is an entry hole photo - shoulder on back side was completely lost (shoot from a 5" barrel length gun).

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy

P1020406_zps29af2240.jpg

I emailed Hornady and they finally got back to me.

Their statement was the reduced case capacity had unwanted effects. But they never said why.

I just don't get how reduced case capacity, and the reduced velocity would cause issues, unless the lower velocity caused the bullet to not open up, which I don't think will be an issue...

If the bullet basically explodes out of the 460 I don't see it being any worse in the 454...

I just don't get it... Maybe I'll just shoot them from my 45 colt...

Back