20 or 12?

handgun357

I shoot 20 guage and do not even own a 12guage.
I was told that you have better distance accuracy with a 20 guage due to the lighter projectile weight and powder used.
I wastold that a 12 guage packs more punch, but the weight slows the projectile and loses distance accuracy.
Is this true?

Nope.

However, any advantage seen for one or the other is marginal, with some small exceptions.

12s work better for stuff requiring a big payload. Waterfowl and turkey come to mind, or buckshot for deer hunting. The 20 is plenty for everything else.

If one has to shoot a perp, said perp will not be able to tell whether a 10,12,16,or 20 ga was the cause of his ceasing his life of crime.

Slugs for deer, same deal. The 20 ga Brenneke load may be one of the best short range deer rounds ever.

The long distance target game is trap and they all shoot 12 when they hit the 27 yard line. Duck and geese hunters who need to reach out reach for the 12. As the pattern expands with distance more shot and choke is needed to maintain a proper pattern. I've never heard the 20 being superior to the 12 at longer distances. If it was, trap shooters would be using it.

Back