20 gauge pistol grip recoil

Bernie Lomax

I know that the recoil in a 12 gauge pistil grip is monstrous but what about on a 20 gauge? Would it be too much for, say a seven or eight year old boy? I have a nephew who's really really into guns right now, and I want to buy him one, preferably something tacticool but affordable. I was thinking of a Mossberg 20 gauge persuader with pistol grip. (I don't want to get something with a standard stock because Mossberg LOP is ridiculously long and even adults of normal size have problems with it.)

Incidentally, before anyone asks, the kid's dad will be the custodian of the gun and he will not be playing around with it unsupervised.

Look into the mossberg 500 bantam series, its made for youths and people of smaller builds. I don't recommend a pistol grip on a shotgun at all, especially for an 8 year old. If recoil is the biggest concern, they make it in a .410 too.

Just say NO to that idea and go with the bantam model. 20 gauge guns are lighter and therefore recoil can be as much, or MORE, than a 12

Yeah the answer is no. As they said get the bantam or Super Bantam. I think it's a 12 inch length of pull and goes up to 14 with the added spacer and recoil pad. And if that isn't enough you can get a standard Mossberg 500 stock.

My wife has one and it works great. She's only 5 foot tall.

turkeyshotgun5.png

Don't forget Remington 700 Youth Model. I have one that I keep as a home defense gun and anyone in the family can shoot it. Has been 100% reliable.

I have a nephew who's really really into guns right now
If your goal is to curb his enthusiasm, by all means get him a pistol grip shotgun.
And 20 gauges aren't all that much different than 12s.
It depends more on the size and weight of the shotgun than the gauge.
Especially with the huge variety of ammo for both.

Are you specifically looking into the Mossberg for any particular reason? You can always cut down a stock to shorter, but I agree with everyone else here that a pistol grip only, is not the way to go.

The Maverick 88 is a youth intended shotgun and there are plenty of aftermarket accessories for it. Last I looked it was also really cheap. The other thing with the 88 would be the availability of replacement barrels, so if he wants to hunt turkey, deer, waterfowl, clays, trap, whatever, you can buy a barrel for it.

Get the boy a regular 20 gauge and if he wants to try it just holding on to it with the pistol grip then let your doctor know that you will be coming in with a sprain in the near future. He will likely only shoot it with a pistol grip once and shoulder it from there out. Before he does shoot it gripping only the pistol grip you might warn him that there is more recoil than he thinks. Then you let him learn the way he learns best.

Back