20 ga hd set up

new_camper

Been thinking about taking a youth 20 gauge 870 and putting a mag extension on it for hd uses. It has a 21 inch barrel and is a model with the dimples. What length extension will fit flush with the end of the barrel +2, +3?

Also how hard would it be to go back to factory length (how would the mag cap stay tight?) or plug the mag since I do also use it for turkey?

The Q&A on Brownells has some specs. Says the Choate 010433 will fit.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...ions/shotgun-magazine-extension-prod4203.aspx

Wouldn't be hard at all to go back to factory. Only issue will be keeping the spring in place while you reassemble it. With the dimples removed, you'll need a third hand. I kept all my pieces so I can hunt with it in the future if I want.

With that said, I wish I would have picked up a 12 ga and used low recoil buck. Barbie-Doll-For-Guys accessories for the 20 are just too scarce.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I like my Choate extension - feeds well. Go for it. (In case you missed it, I edited my first post several times. Brownells has your answer.)

It's not hard to manage the spring without the dimples. My 935 has become my go to shotgun. I have the Choate stock and 5rnd extension. For HD I use the slug barrel, extension and a light. For deer I loose the light and add a scope with a QD mount. For resident goose(vermin) the shot barrel and extension. Add a red dot for three gun. I am considering the AT I scorpion stock to give it a little harder ass look. That is the amazing thing about shotguns. A few barrels and accessories you can fill about every firearm need.

I doubt you will ever really NEED a magazine extension on your gun, unless you expect to be overrun by bad guys. You already hunt with the gun, so why completely change it's handling characteristics to add 2-3 more shots?

Bill:

I was thinking that I would like to add the capacity for home defense, and I am thinking about doing three gun as well. I wanted to know what the ramifications of the modification would be to help me decide if I want to do it or not. Right now I am still undecided and think that I may wait until I actually do a three gun match and see if it is something that I would like to keep doing.

Get some duct tape and four live shells. Tape the shells into a bundle and tape the bundle to the middle of the barrel ahead of the magazine cap. See how that weight out front affects the balance and handling of the shotgun, and decide if the awkwardness is worth adding two or three more rounds to the magazine.

Plus all the hassle and risk of getting rid of the mag tube dimples...

Back