2 SILLY QUESTIONS

JERKY

My first question is what designates a carbine? is it the synthetic stock? the ammo? the brand? the ruger 9mm rifle with synthetic stock is called a carbine but so do some other brands in 9mm in wood stock and other types of ammo.

my other silly question is, how do you guys get those cute little smiley faces on the posts ? all i can get is the old standard boring : )

------------------
TIM : )

JERKY,
I don't really know what designates a carbine. I assume it has something to do with short length combined with lower-powered ammo, but I dunno?

For smileys, leave out the space between : and ), like this :) .
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I think a carbine is defined as a short barreled rifle. I would guess we'd all agree that a 16" barreled rifle was a carbine.

As far as the smiley faces, beats me. :)

Carbine is a rifle whos barrel is 16" or less and uses a traditional handgun cartridge. I think, not sure about the cartridge type though. (forgot the face too) ;)

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 01, 1999).]

I would say is the length not the caliber. The M 4 and the Mauser 98k are at extremes, with different actions and designs but nonetheless both are carbines and use rifle ammo.

Anther silly question. Ok since i now know how to make this :) how do i make the others?
sorry for asking this silly question

:)

Click on the "faq" item near the top. The smilies are item 2. Look at the other items also, there's lots of usful stuff there.

A carbine is a "COMPACT" rifle. It can use a rifle cartridge (i.e. .223rem) or traditional handgun cartridge (i.e. 9mm etc).

A Colt M4 is an example of a carbine. It is basically a "COMPACT" M16... It does not have the longer range capabilities of the M16 (accurately effective @ approx. 500m), but is easier to carry and handle at shorter range (@300m or less/CQB etc.) engagements.

A "carbine" should not be confused with a "submachinegun" (i.e. HK MP5) which does utilize a handgun cartridge with fully automatic features. It is specifically designed for CQB and short (100m or less) engagements.

Hope this helps clarify...

------------------
SURE SHOT

Carbines were originally short barrelled muskets or rifles for use on horseback. The term has been extended to any short bbled shoulder arm except shotguns.

Carbines of full rifle caliber are extremely handy for hunting in thick stuff. There is a velocity loss, but usually not critical.

Pistol caliber shoulder arms like the M-1 Carbine are good for little except defense and recreation, but oft shine there.

Thanks for all the useful replies. Now i know what the heck they are talking about when they say carbine. ohh and i can now smile :)

------------------
TIM : )

I've always thought 16-20" as a carbine. >20" is a rifle. Less than 16" and the gun is no longer a carbine. The law say's it's an illegal short-barrel rifle conversion, or a handgun. Caliber doesn't make the difference.
-Kframe

Back