2 questions about a SIG/HAMMERLI Trailside

Bob243

Hello,

first... I am looking for opinions on a Trailside Target model 4 1/2" with Laminated grip. I looked at one at a local shop and fell in love with it, and so far haven't heard anything negative about them...

second.... I heard that SIG has been or is being bought out by some holdings company, Is there a chance that overhead will become more important than quality, and if I want one I should get one quick, or am I just being paranoid.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

That little .22 is pretty high on my wish list too. Everyone I've ever talked to about it has nothing but praise for it. It's supposed to be extremely accurate and reliable.

If the company producing it is being bought out you should probably go for it now. Change in management usually brings change in product. If everything I've heard is correct then change will only make the gun worse.

I've spent a lot of quality time with a Trailside Target model, and it's a sweet little pistol!
It's significantly light in the muzzle and this throws the balance a little too far rearward for my tastes. While there are SUPPOSEDLY barrel weights available for them, I can't find them or anyone who's SEEN one.
All that being said though, I haven't seen a malfunction yet and it's INSANELY accurate.
(I do wish they'd not chosen to go with the BLUE laminate, it's a little gaudy for my tastes. Simple polished walnut would have been beautiful.)

The reason you haven't heard anything negative about it is because, well, there's nothing negative to say!

Kidding aside, it's a fine little pistol - more accurate than I will ever be even using cheap bulk .22 ammo from WalMart. Face it - it's a $400 Hammerli, and I thought I'd never be able to afford a Hammerli.

Spare mags tend to be hard to find, so order one if you get the chance.

Yes, SIG has been sold. The press release mentioned that the factories in Europe and America would continue as they are now, but that Hammerli will become an "assembly and marketing concern". This may be that the Hammerli plant would no longer make the frames and slides, but assemble firearms from parts made in other factories - much like the FN plant in Portugal, which assembles Hi-Powers from parts made in Belgium.

My strong advice is if you want one, and one is available at your dealer, buy it NOW. My two favorite dealers have had a hard time keeping them on the shelves and I had to be put on a waiting list to get mine. There's no telling what the suits will do with Hammerli, so I'd go ahead and buy.

It's a fun little pistol. You really can't go wrong.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

I love Sigs. The Trailside is such a beautiful little gun that I bought one for my son. It didn't work at all. Constantly jamming. We sent it back to Sig. They replaced the pistol. Obviously it was a bad one. The new one still jammed more than I liked. I sold it. The new owner likes it ok, but is very careful how the magazine is loaded. They problem is undoubtedly the crappy plastic magazine. Too bad they didn't make it out of steel. I remain skeptical of the Trailside. Every time I see one at the gun shop I still want to buy it. Some guys never learn.

The Trailside will become a legend. I have a 6" Target and feel it is perfectly balanced (very light) and very accurate. Have not had any malfunctions in 1,000 rounds. I think you can buy weights, mags, and other stuff at larrysguns.com. I've been overseas for 3 weeks and can't wait to shoot it again!!

Thanks for all the replies, If the shop still has it I will be picking it up today..... Thanks for the link to find extra magazines...

~Bob Meier

There have been some problems with the magazines. A new batch, that is supposedly due soon, should solve the problem with feeding. The 4.5" Plinker is on my list also. Saw two last Wednesday, a 4.5" and a 6", $399 each.
Regards,
JB

Just got off the phone with my favorite local dealer and he got one for me... So I will be picking that up on Friday.... $405 :D

Back