2 piece guide rods, 1911.

8200 rpm

Will installing a 2-piece guide rod prevent the recoil spring plug from shooting out into my eye during disassembly?

No. The force behind the recoil plug is the recoil spring not the guide rod. You'll have the same force pusing the guide plug whether you use a 2-piece or one piece guide rod.

If you touch guns or ammo you are wearing safety glasses.

Right?

Right?

---------------------------------

"all my eyeballs are OSHA eyeballs"

If the plug is hitting you in the eye, your aim is bad! I point mine the other way in case it gets away from me. :)

I can't figure out how to do that with my 1911, but I did launch the recoil spring out of a Beretta 96 once and hit my 35 gallon fishtank hard enough to chip it. That was a tense moment. :)

Anyways, on a Springfield at least, the guide rod is screwed out first, or screwed in last so I don't think it makes any difference.

Was in the shop last week, and had a bit of an embarassing moment. A person came in to pick up their Springfield longslide. They were about ten minutes early (waiting period here in CA is strict!) so I decided to show the guy how to disassemble it as he was new to handguns and 1911's are not the simplest guns to disassemble. Well, I'm so used to taking apart 5" 1911's, I didn't think much of it, but that extra 1" of length caused a problem. I got the slide off of the frame, but though I was holding the spring down against the barrel, with the long slide, the "breach end" of the guide rod went-a-flyin'. I watched for what seemed like several seconds as it flew across the store. The whole time it was flying all I could think was "Thank god that didn't hit anyone!!!!" I began to sweat with the thought of what could have happened. I promptly stopped, walked over, picked up the section of the guide rod, walked back and made it very clear that I had screwed up, that working in a gun store can make you careless and see what it gets you, and always use eye protection when disassembling the gun. I felt like an idiot. I felt like a super idiot when i found that none other than Mike Dalton was standing right there. Leave it to me to make a fool of myself in front of someone like that! I feel embarrased about that to this day, but I learned a lesson!

Back