2 New Pistols

Nodak1858

So a number of years ago I bought a used set of reloading dies. Were told they were 380 ACP but when i got them they turned out to be 38 Super. I had never heard of that before then, so after looking into it i had an itch to get one. Fast forward 10 years or so and I have been looking for one and after looking on line ordered up a RIA 1911 38 super. And since I was getting one, saw Classic had Tisas 1911A1 45CAL for under $350, added one to my order as well. Picked up both from my FFL today. The RIA looks great, glad they dont have any bill board on the slide. But the big surprise is the Turk pistol. The finish is really nice, no tool marks inside or out. Even giving it a good shake it doesn't rattle. i read many good reviews of them, yes some bad, but overall I am impressed. Gauged the trigger, breaks pretty clean just shy of 6 pounds. Side by side with the RIA i don't see to much difference in craftsmanship. Can't comment on meturugy, but after putting some rounds down range we'll see how they hold up.

-saw Classic had Tisas 1911A1 45CAL for under $350, added one to my order as well.

Neat.
I'd also be interested in the range report on the Tisa.

There's a famous fiction author Stephen Hunter that writes very well about guns and has a whole series of books out and the .38 Super is mentioned many times quite favorably. If you're looking for some good (IMhO) action adventure stories you could start here.

https://www.amazon.com/Point-Impact...203137&sprefix=point+of+impact,aps,167&sr=8-1

BTW if you lived in California there'd be no "so I added another gun to my order" because in their infinite wisdom they have decreed that NO ONE NEEDS to purchase more than one handgun a month. (Coming to a state near you if we are not careful.)

Good luck.

Is the Tisas the WW2 era clone from SDS Imports? With a slight OD tint to the finish.

If so, I picked one up a couple months ago. Absolutely astounded by the quality of the finish and lack of machining marks on it for being a $350 gun. The finish is smoother and seems tougher than my old RIA. Slide is very smooth, on par with my SR1911. The trigger has a slight bit of creep, but breaks nicely at 5.5 pounds. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but I have had no issues whatsoever. Shoots to point of aim, and the Mecgar mag from the factory is a nice touch.

Is the Tisas the WW2 era clone from SDS Imports? With a slight OD tint to the finish
Yes, wanted a plain Jane basic 1911, have a Springfield with some bells and whistles on it already. Hopefully it stays decent and I can make it out Sunday to the range.

The 38 Super is the same cartridge as the 38 ACP from 1900 when John M. Browning designed it for the Colt 1900. Somewhere along the line the loading was changed and it became the 38 Super. It could also be called the 38 ACP+P.

Bob
WB8NQW

.38 Auto came out in 1900.
The Super .38 gun came out in 1929 but they did not soup up the ammo until 1931.
.38 Super is labeled +P but that is relative to .38 Auto, there is no .38 Super "non +P".

Also, your .38 super dies will load 9MM Largo as well, opening up an entire line of classic Spanish guns that have more power than the 9MM parabellum.

Super is straight, Largo is tapered; I'd try my 9mm P dies.
But I once read a post saying to load 9mm Steyr with 9mm Supercomp brass, too.

Super is straight, Largo is tapered; I'd try my 9mm P dies.

All I can say is mine run very nicely, and they are the dies I was told to use. (https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?258260-Which-Die-to-use-to-reload-9mm-Largo-ammo) You may have a point but I don't know why it would shoot better. In the above forum discussion it is implied that 9X19 dies won't accept the whole length of 9MM largo, I don't know, but it's also implied that one can partially size in 9X19 dies.
So then, would that give more life to my Starline 9MM Largo cases? I kind of expect the opposite, but I don't know.

Back