2 for 2

Cain R

Wow! What a great hunting season so far. Although the weather has been much warmer and drier than usual I've already bagged my Moose and this morning at first light a nice 4x4 bull elk. My first Elk in 5 years. The load was Federal's 300gr Nosler Partition in .375 H&H. This time the range was 75 paces slightly down hill, the bullet smashed the front right shoulder deflected down through the lungs and exited out with a loonie sized exit hole. The Bull folded up and was done by the time I made it down to him. To make matters even better he was right in the middle of a dry flat logging road only 15 minutes from the truck, oh so much better than my 6 hour-drag the Moose out by yourself and the quad home at 2 AM routine. And, it was only 90 minutes from my farm and 4 miles from where I got the Moose. Now for some cold weather and the Whitetail rut!

You are killing me. I applied for five different animals in three different states and got a total of 0 tags. No big game hunting for me.

Where on earth do you live? Here in Alberta, I can go in and purchase Antlered Whitetail (last week of season does ok too) Antlered Mule Deer and Antlered Elk. Moose usually take 3-5 years to get a draw in my local area. This season, Elk, Whitetail, Mule Deer and Moose cost $160.00 Cdn. in fees. Probably 85% of the Province is Crown (public) Land so access is pretty easy (some restriction on qauds etc on zones near the Banff/Jasper National Parks). The biggest hurdle are the FedGov's gun registration laws which I can happily report that only about 8% of all gun owners are participating in. And 98% of that 8% are new gun sales which must be registered before going out the shops door. Off to hunt deer in another week! PS last week before I came home from my moose/elk hunt I counted 56 does/fawns, spikes and forhorns in a 5 mile stretch. Now if it would just snow.

444. Most humble apologies. Since I have a Class B guide liscence I can take you hunting. The season ends Nov 30. Bring warm stuff, its finally cooling down. PS bring $50 Cdn, $1.15US to pay the tax for the registration forms when you cross the border, bring only a bolt action rifle, preferably with a trigger lock. Oh yeah, the info about you and your rifle WILL be faxed to the FBI, the RCMP and Interpol, FYI only you understand. For under $200 CDN you should be able to get a Whitetail and Mule tag. Last two weeks of Nov would be best. Pay for the gas .65/litre and food, lets go!

Hey thanks for the invite, but I was just kidding. Not that I wouldn't like to, but no can do this year. Have fun.

Back