2 3/4" shells in a 3" or 3 1/2" chamber?

Postman

I am brand spanking new to the world of shotguns and I am thinking about picking up a pump action for recreation and piece of mind. I'm not planing on doing any skeet or trap shooting.

I've been looking at the offerings from Wilson's Scattergun Technology and Vang Comp. These guns come with 3" chambers and I want to know if I could still use reduced power 2 3/4" shells in the longer chambers.

Are the chambers configured similiar to those of a revolver where the head spacing id done on the rim? If so could I use 2 3/4" or 3" shells in a 3 1/2" chamber?

Yes, you can use 2 3/4" in 3" and 3 1/2" chambers. You wouldn't want to shoot too many of the 3 1/2" anyway unless you like having a black and blue shoulder ;)
Bergie

Yup, you can do it with no problem. That measurement gives you the MAXIMUM shell length. If you seriously think you might ever need a 3.5" shell -- get the 3.5" chamber. But if not, save the money -- 3.5" chambers cost a lot more (at lease on Brownings and Berettas). Good luck!

Hueco

My shoulder is crying just thinking about 3.5's out of an old 835 Ulti-Mag I had. Traded it in on a Mossy 500, and even a 3" Magnum turkey load can make a grown man cry!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

90% of all shotgunning with 12 ga guns can be handled by a 2 3/4" shell. All too often someone tries to substitute a bigger load for expertise. It doesn't work very well.

My HD 870 has a 2 3/4 chamber, and I do not feel unarmed with it. Far from it,as a matter of fact....

Back