1st White Tail

Fred S

I was hunting up at Camp Grayling, Michigan this week and got my first white tail deer on opening day. I bagged a 137 pound, 4 point buck. I got him at about 11 am. I was sitting on a small ridge looking down into some brush and small trees that had a few small clearings. Earlier in the morning I spotted a doe coming from my right rear, down the side of the ridge, into one of the clearings and then across my font down to a larger field. I decided to stay in that spot. This was a good call. The buck was coming along the ridge to my right, he seemed to be heading towards the same field that the doe had gone into hours before. As he approached I scoped him to be sure he had antlers (he did but not very big) and then he walked into one of the small clearing, right to my front, about 46 yards away. he stopped and alerted to something to his right front (my left). He looked that way and presented his front left quarter. I put the scope on him and calmly aimed, pulled the trigger and dropped him where he stood. I shot him with my Winchester Model 70 XTR featherweight in .308 Win. I walked up to him and he was kicking his hind legs and still breathing, so I fired a finishing shot into his lungs.

Tomorrow I get the meat form the processor and we're going to have one big feast.

Way to go Fred! I still vividly remember my first whitetail buck some 20 years ago. How about you spread some of that venison around the TFL Hunt Furom? :D

Good job! Be careful not to over cook the meat. I am a big believer in crock pots for venison.

I agree - I can still remember my first too..

Giz

Congatulations!!

"I put the scope on him and calmly aimed"

How bad were you shaking after you took the shot? ;)
When I dropped my first one the adreniline rush was so intense that after I got to the downed deer I had to sit down.
Venison chops on the grill. Super hot coals, about 1/2 - 2/3 the time per side that you would cook a beefsteak (unless you like your steaks very rare)
Giz is right for roasts, a crockpot will have them melting in your mouth.
That is darn fast turnaround time for your processing, I usually have to wait a couple of weeks. The little place that I take mine to usually has them stacked up pretty good. This year I am #108 on their list, but their sausages are worth the wait.
bergie

Congratulations!! My first whitetail was shot 16 years ago this month and I still think of it every time I'm hunting deer. I think the only thing that will top that feeling will be when my son (age 7) or daughters (age 2&3) shoot their first deer!! Enjoy the venison!

Congrats Fred!

and can a proud father can brag a bit in this topic?

Last weekend, my older son got his first deer - a 9 point buck that dressed out at 218 pounds! Man, that's a big buck up in our part of the woods (New Hampshire).

One shot through the spine with a scoped 30-30 did the trick; range about 30 yards. The bullet zipped right through without expanding at all.

He said that he had no buck fever until he tried to fill out the tag - at which time his hands were shaking so much he could hardly write.

I sure don't blame him for that... and yes, deer meat is on the menu this Thanksgiving.

regards and good hunting to all,

Owen

(Younger son has yet to get his first deer but he has taken two moose and boy, do you get a lot of meat off a moose.)

Fred; If you didn't do it this time, have your processor save you the backstrap. This is equivalent to the texture of tenderloin on beef, only better tasting. Like everone said, don't over cook your venison.

Congratulations on the first, may there be many more in your freezer each season from now on. There's nothing like the first, in anything!

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

Ever notice how a processor/butcher has a freezer full of moose/caribou/deer meat, even though he works all hunting season?? :D How do you suppose this works? Does God just say "keep up the good work, and here's 300lbs of backstrap for your effort." ???? Ithink that maybe he take 1 or 2 steaks off of every animal that comes through. Nobody ever notices the difference, and he gets a freezer full. That's why we butcher our own game, unless we get too much to do ourselves, and then we have them processed, but we remove the backstraps and do them ourselves:) We all gotta do our part to keep 'em honest.

BadMedicine

You're on the money with that one, I always cut out the tenderloin, and tell the butcher I want the backstraps whole.

Back