1st wheelgun

jhunnetaz

will be picking up my S&W 686, 6-shot, 6".

what would you suggest for ammo? range and HD.
also do i need any special tool for cleaning? i already have some stuff for my autos, but don't know what i might need different for a revolver. TIA...

I would suggest the following:
A lead wipe-away cloth to clean the cylinder face.

Brass, (not stainless) chamber cleaning brushes. These look like regular bore brushes, but are stiffer and a little larger. These can be found at Brownell's. If you don't want to get these, get several 40 cal bore brushes. Needed if you shoot lead bullets.

Make a brass scraper to clean around the rear of the barrel. This looks just like a small brass screwdriver blade. You only need this if you're going to shoot lead bullets.

A brass guide for your cleaning rod, since you have to clean from the muzzle.

A Lewis Lead Remover Kit, if you shoot lead.

For home defense, I like the +P 158 gr. lead semi wadcutter, hollow point. Known in various parts of the country as the FBI, Chicago, New Orleans, or LA load.
OR:
In Magnum it's real hard to better the 125 gr. jacketed hollow point. The last tests I saw rated it at the 96-98% one shot stop level.

A good compromise would be something like Remington's mid-range Magnum load.

Range use depends on whether you reload.

Welcome to the revolver world, you'll like it.

For personal defense ammo, I suggest the .357 magnum from Collins Cartridge Company. What you get is a Remington nickeled case with a Remington 125 gr Golden Saber bullet at $13.00 per 50. That is cheap enough to practice with, and it is new manufactured ammo. Sling Shot
http://www.cccammo.com/index.html

congrat's on your purchase of a 686

I too, just bought one recently. It's a pre-agreement 686-5
with a 6" tube. What a great shooter!!!:D:) WOW; I believe
I could hit a nat's rear end at 100 yds!!! Just kidding, of course; but it is extremely accurate. Still a little too tight, but I believe it will work it's self into form.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

thank you,..i appreciate all your replies, and suggestions. it's good to know that we have a board like this, where we can go and ask question and get great responses. thanks again.

Back