1st training class...

mlcompound

I am stoked to get to do my first tactical pistol class in April. Although, they recommend 4 magazines for the class. I only have 2 for my px4 9mm and I have found that there are none available anywhere. Would this be a problem for the typical class? I have also tried to find some to borrow for the weekend but not too many people have this gun. What should I do?

Call the people running the class. They might have a line on mags.

But I'm sure they won't let just having two get in the way of learning.

Keep looking for magazines. If the class calls for four magazines, it's a sure bet that some of the drills will require you to reload four times before refilling your magazines. You really don't want to be the guy slowing the rest of the class down because you're frantically stuffing mags while everyone else is standing there ready to shoot.

Yes, a good instructor will do his or her best to flex around your needs, but the equipment list is there for a reason. It is to make the class flow as efficiently as possible for everyone involved.

pax

I'd bring as many as possible and "preloaded" if possible, I'd check first. Since some drills don't require a full mag.

It sucks when you/we have to wait on the line for someone to reload.

If it were me, two mags are on the thin side for a class. One mag could go down, you never know. IMHO, I think if you do take the class with only two mags, you'll be wishing you brought more. I'd want your first class experience to be an enjoyable memory and not a time where you spend more time reloading and not paying attention to the instructors since you're worrying about your empty mags.

ETA: I remember one class, I brought about 40ish mags loaded. It was great not wearing out my thumbs and taking a breather while everyone topped off mags as fast as possible.

MarkDozier said:
I wonder if the 4 mags rule was for 1911 users to be able to keep up with other high cap pistols?
I doubt it. Having taken a number of classes, the more magazines the better -- even with double stack guns. And there will no doubt be some drills, like speed reloads and malfunction clearances, where multiple magazines would be needed no matter how many rounds each magazine held.

Sheesh. I had originally opted out of the class because of financial reasons but one of the guys (it's some guys from our church) sponsored my spot in the class. If anyone has a px4 9mm and would be willing to loan out a couple magazines I could pay shipping and send some boolits or lead in return. I have my buddy at the LGS looking all over as well.

Definitely query the instructor(s). Sometimes they can find work arounds to issues. At a minimum, at least both sides will have a head's up!

If you have the 15rd mags, you have the px4 compact. The 17 and 20 rd mags (17 with extended base plate) will work on the gun. I have the 20rd mag and it sticks out quite a bit, but it works flawlessly.

It's my experiences that mags in those classes are rarely loaded to capacity. Typically, 6-10 rounds, max. This facilitates the need to reload more often. If the class asks for 4 mags, minimum, then I'd do everything I could to get 4 mags. Given today's situation on availability of mags, they might be understanding, and work with you. But you won't know for sure unless you ask.

EDIT: Now I read the rest of the thread and see my post is unneeded. :)

Have fun at your class, be prepared to learn a bunch.

Granted that I shoot a 1911, but I always take at least double the magazines suggested for the course. I also take a spare gun. Some gun schools like Thunder Ranch strongly recommend a spare gun and I have seen guns break in several classes.

I have never had too many magazines for a class.

Seems like you are good to go.

Take an easy loader (save your thumb) most classes seem to have open holster rules, see if you can do some concealed drills.

Update. Class was AWESOME!!! I cant believe how much I learned. I am now in dire need of primers for the practice I will be doing. I will be recruiting more friends and fellow gun enthusiasts to do more training. This is a must for anyone who ever pulls a trigger of a firearm. I see some competitive shooting in my future.

Back