1st Time Shootin' a .308

garyo

WOW a real neat cartridge. I could not believe how accurately I could shoot it! I have very little center fire rifle experience. The only other rifle I've had any experience with is the M16 courtesy the USMC. I also shot my friends AR15 and still did not like it AND it did not have anything to do with the malfunctions. The .308 was a Remington 700 bolt w/18" barrel. After I fired about 5 rounds I was real comfortable with it. Sooo I guess I will look for .308 at the next Gun Show around 1st week of May for us NCers.
Thanks all for your advice and help! I'll let you know what I get.

------------------
Take Care

Yeah, consider going with the FAL. not bolt-action accuracy, but still super accurate and fun as heck. one mean weapon.

The rifle you're speaking of, is a Remington Model "Seven" carbine.........

I have one too, and love it!

Here's a pic of mine......
View

If you can find a good used Remington 788 in .308 I highly recommend it as an option. Very accurate rifles. I have a 788 .308 Carbine with the 16.5" barrel and I love it!

------------------
R6...aka...Chris

Garyo,
The 308 is my favorite caliber, comes from being in the military in the 60's.

For "pure accuracy" I shoot a Remington 700 with a 26" heavy barrel. It will cut a dime at 100yards with 165 to 168 gr. BT bullets. I topped this with a Leupold 3.5x10 VXIII.

For field use (hunting, etc) I have chosen a Winchester XTR Featherweight, only 6.5lbs! Plenty good enough on the accuracy, 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
But the real story is you can carry it all day and not feel like you had a truck axle on your sholder the next morning. Keeping the weight in mind, this is topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII.

You should have many great years togeather with this caliber. I mean, soft recoil, super accuracy, plenty of knock down power, cheep practice ammo is abundant, easy to reload, etc., etc. What else could a person want?
$0.02 k

Hi, Garyo,

Folks here tend to recommend what they themselves like. Perfectly natural. But if you like that Remington, get one like it, and you won't be disappointed. FALs and M1As and other stuff can come later if you want.

Jim

If you are looking for a semi-auto .308, forget that FAL. Its only benefits are they are cheaper and the mags are cheaper. Spend the extra money and get an M1A. I am not hacking on you FAL owners, because when it comes down to it, it is still a big semi-auto rifle that is tons of fun to shoot. No one can complain about that. However, the M1A is very-very accurate out of the box and since it sounds like you are a leatherneck, it is a Marine gun. With an M1A you can get into the national match shooting competitions. A very fun course indeed. Whatever you decide, just buy it, you can never have enough guns. Good shooting all.

Back