1ST Semi-auto Browning High Power???

Cyric13

I'm looking to get my first semi-auto and after as much info searching as I could do I've come to want a SA and I want a .40 after talking to people I know. So I've been looking at the Browing HP MK III in .40 and was wondering what you guys though about the BHP overall?

thanks in advance, Cyric13

Hello. The Browning HP Mk III is my favorite of all pistols though I prefer it in 9mm. I've been a HP owner and shooter since '71 and own some of the "pure" Belgian guns and still prefer the newer Mk IIIs. I own one MkIII in .40S&W. This handgun groups well with loads it likes and is reliable although my particular gun is a little fussy with very blunt, short rounds. It works fine with Winchester Silvertips and most other high-performance rounds, but really short, blunt rounds like some of the 135 gr will jam one tries to cycle one into the bbl from the magazine, but this does not occur when the weapon's fired. I can live with it as I prefer a handload using the 180 gr CTC bullet and usually shoot 165 gr jacketed HPs for the warmer loads. I removed the magazine safety from my forty, which some wisely counsel against, and added Uncle Mike's rubber stocks that are based on Spegel's original design. I had Novak sights added and black parkerized the entire pistol. In short, I think that the MkIII in .40 would be a fine pistol if you respect the "lack of error" tolerated by practically any single-action design. Best and good shooting.

The HP's a great gun !
Followed closely by the CZ-75 which CAN also be carried cocked 'n locked. :)
What's the best price you've gotten so far ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

The BHP is a great pistol. Be aware, however, of a few potential problems:

1) The .40 BHP comes with a very stiff recoil spring. This makes retracting the slide difficult.

2) The slide of the .40 BHP is slightly thicker than that of the original 9mm BHP. As a result, some tight fitting holsters designed for the 9mm version won't work with the .40 version. This isn't a major problem so long as you specify ".40" when ordering a holster.

3) Some shooters experience "hammer bite" with the BHP. This condition results from the web of the shooting hand (the skin between the thumb and trigger finger) being pinched between the hammer and the grip tang. Some shooters don't have this problem. Try before you buy to avoid a painful surprise.

I say go for it. I have a BHP in 9mm and am shopping for one in .40 cal. As with the 1911's there are many gunsmiths out there who can tune up your pistol, if you like. I would say most, if not all the work is not really needed but I love the work Novak did on my gun.

This gun just fits in my hand like no other.

Back