1st inline

dr1445

i have been shooting bp revolvers the last year. i had a cva hawken many years back and decided to try an inline rifle this year. a thompson center black diamond in ss arrived today via fedex. the rifle appears unfired but the take down screws show some use. the rifle came with a ram rod but no loading tips and i will need a starter rod also. i picked up some harvester 44 cal sabots to use with hornady 44 240 swagged lead bullets, which i also use in my 1894 marlin 44mag. i see a thompson center short starter rod that comes with a couple of loading tips. is this a good one to start with?

I personally have not seen the need for those little starter rods - but then I'm only using sabots (which start much easier than a patched ball). One of the best investments I made was a T/C extended super jag. It is a combination bullet pusher (with the concave shaped for a pointed bullet) and knurled cleaning jag that is about 5" long.

guilty of to much internet reading, where folks struggle to load sabots due to tight bores. for the cva with pb’s, i just used a hard wood dowel glued into a wood block. i will just make up a wood dowel/block so if i run into a tight bore i have something to finish loading the rifle and pick up the extension at cabela’s. thanks for the heads up.

Good Choice !!!

a thompson center black diamond in ss arrived today via fedex.
Great choice and one of the last MML's that are not dedicated to a 209. You now have the option of using and of the three primer/caps. I only own two MML's and my primary Hunter, is the Black Diamond with musket cap. It is and open breech type but you will learn to work with that. .... :)

One problem that folks have with loading Sabots is because they don't have the right combination of projectile and sabot. Just make sure you use the .44 sabot. ... :)

As soon as you can, pull that breech plug, clean and preserve. You really don't need a short start but I keep one in my field bag anyway. You rifle rod may not have jags but you still have tips that you can load with, right?? .... :)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

pahoo, cleaning stuff i have, but zero inventory on loading tips. also i do not have the white teflon thread tape only the yellow fuel proof tape for the breech plug. i would guess either will work, both being teflon. any thoughts on cleaning the 209 primer holder? the revolvers i strip and put in the sonic cleaner with dish soap, i plan the same for the b/d bolt, plug etc.

decided to try an inline rifle this year. a thompson center black diamond in ss arrived today via fedex.

The TC Black Diamond is the most accurate rifle i own. The gun has one drawback: When fired with 209 primers the breech gets the dirtiest of any gun i have seen. Changed mine to musket caps and then to #11 caps. It stays much cleaner.

QUOTE]i see a thompson center short starter rod that comes with a couple of loading tips. is this a good one to start with? [/QUOTE]

Buy the short starter and tips. It will make your loading much easier. You don't really need the teflon tape, any good grease will work. i use Permatex anti-seize.

thallub, i tried one 209 with an empty chamber, for sure it makes a mess. i need to order the breech plug for nipples in any case because i have lots of caps for the revolvers. i just made short and long t rods from a 1/2" wood dowel and tried the harvester green [44cal] with the hornady swagged lead bullets. the bullets have a flat nose so i left the biz end of the dowel flat. worked no problem, it should work with the hornady great plains bullets i have to test since the are flat to. who would be the best source for the nipple type breech plug?

I would rather have a messy breech and comfort in knowing my powder ignites 100% of the time.

209s will never let you down. Also, teflon tape makes cleaning breechplug threads much easier than anti-seize grease. Sometimes there's no need to overlap the tape....depending on the powder heat and breechplug design.

The practicals !!!

Primer/Caps;
These MML's are less prone to hang-fires so might "'suggest" staying with a cap. I also started out with the #11 and then went to musket as in a hunting environment they are easer to work with and you get the hotter spark. I get the performance I need out of the musket caps. ... :)
Nipples;
You existing plug will accept all three primer/caps, so you don't need a different one. I would however, recommend you getting a spare while you still can. .... ;)
Plug Threads;
Just because I have never tied Teflon tape, I won't put it down. It's worth a try and compare it to what I'm now using. Teflon tape is readily available, line WalMart plumbing aisle. I mostly use Copper based high temp. paste. Auto supply housed also sells a spark-plug anti-size in crayon form.
Jags
I believe it's CVA that offers a short start with a variety of tips and jags. These need to be 10-32 thread and the jags will fit into your field rod tips. You can also find individual jags for less that $5.00.

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

flame thrower or normal nipple, which to get?

i've tried all the nipples. Get the plain old TC nipple. The #11 flamethrower nipple with its three vent holes makes the gun too dirty.

This is my TC Black Diamond:

Getting to know your M/L

flame thrower or normal nipple, which to get?
Kind of depends on your propellant and as thallub has suggested, start out with the standard. I only shoot loose powder and have had no issues with the standard. If I were loading pellets, I "might" step up to the Flame-Thrower, just to feel better. You have been introduced to your M/L and now it's time to get close and personal and what a great range-time you will have. These are solid performers and it will tell you what it likes best. You will find it's optimum target load and if you hunt, an optimum hunting load as well. .... :)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

i have t7 and black mz powder, no pellets and no plans for pellets. the rifle will be used for paper punching at the local range, so #11's should do fine. it did not come with iron sights only weaver mounts, the scope should be in and mounted this week. just a rock and roll tasco pronghorn for now, for longer term i am thinking a long eye relief scout mounted scope, less to get in the way of loading and no scope clean up worries.

Back