1B?

Model12Win

Anyone a fan of #1 buck? I use the 16 pellet Winchester load in 12 guage 2 3/4 length. They say not as much penetration as 00 but almost twice as many pellets, and can better defeat heavy clothing and body structure than the smaller #4 buck.

Thoughts?

I keep my HD 870P loaded with Federal Flite Control 1B. 19 pellets, nice, tight pattern. Only downside is finding the stuff for sale. I live in a suburban apartment complex, so if over-penetration wasn’t a concern I’d likely have chosen 00B.

"...can better defeat heavy clothing..." Nonsense. No normal clothing, regardless of how thick it is, will stop any kind of shot.
4 Buck is favoured because of the number of pellets it has. There are 21 to 24 in 2.75" shells. 41 pellets in a 3" mag. Nothing to do with penetration or any other internet inspired silliness. More pellets means there's a greater chance of one of 'em hitting your target. And one is enough.

The #1 buck does better against bone and certain things, you can't argue with that, not even the great T. O'Heir (now he'll prove me wrong). ;)\

Plus at home defense distances you better not rely on just one .24 caliber #4 buck pellet to disable a target, because that means you've missed with all the rest. Any buckshot load is going to give you a fist-sized pattern at home defense ranges.

Logically, For home defense purposes, #4 Buckshot would seem superior to #1 buckshot in that #4 would have more than adequate penetration at "defensive" distances (a few feet, not yards) as well as a way higher pellet count. (27 #4 buckshot pellets in a 2-3/4 shell and 41 in a 3-inch magnum. Whereas a 2-3/4 #1 buckshot load has 20 pellets and 3-inch magnum with #1 buckshot has 24 pellets...if you can find them).

When I first read the OP, i thought, "why not just use #4B?" More pellets. Easier to find the ammo.
You are gonna have a fist sized group in a home defense scenario with either #1 or '#4. You dont have to worry about penetration of clothing. That will happen.
"Better against bone".....you are not hunting deer or hogs or bear at twenty-five yards. You are fifteen or twenty feet away from an intruder. Bone is not an issue.

Back