1991A1 Question From a newbie

Boondocker

Hello everyone
I have been reading this forum for about a month now and everyone seems to be good people. I just picked up a ss 1991 today used at a local shop. Not a single wear mark or scratch outside 1 clip not even used. 98% for 345.00 was This a fair Price.
Got home shot 7 rounds 230 fmj Win. White box. Hard to rack 1st round, 7 shots 2" at 10 yds fail to lock open, clip hard to pull out. Am I doing something wrong,I am new to this style auto. Have put 5000 rnds thru my G17 no problems.I would like to load some swc for this gun if it will feed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks racer

Considering what Colts are going for lately I'd say that the price was ridiculosly low. Given your comments about the pistols performance I'd say that you may have unknowligly purchased a damaged gun. I'd take it to a gunsmith and have him give it the once over.

A lot of 1911s have a way TOO STRONG mainspring in them - Possible reason for the difficulty in racking
Find someone that handloads PROVEN "tack driving" loads & see how they group
Only one mag was problamatic ?
Go & buy a Wilson 7 rounder & see if that fixes it
Those were the "easy" fixes, all else failing go & see a 'Smithy ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Racer: Step #1 is to obtain a Wilson or Mccormick magazine, and then re-try. Your pistol SHOULD be factory throated: you will see a crescent-shaped ramp at the bottom of the chamber, wrapping from 4 o'clock around to 8 o'clock. Quality mags/ammo make all of the difference!

Colt lately had a lot of QC problems with the 1991A1. Ever wonder why it was let go by the previous owner?

Jim

You did good on the price.

Got home shot 7 rounds 230 fmj Win. White box. Hard to rack 1st round, 7 shots 2" at 10 yds fail to lock open, clip hard to pull out.

Did you throughly clean and lubricate the pistol before shooting? No autopistol will function dry or full of crud. Sometimes folks just give heir pistols a wipe down before a sale, make sure it's completely clean.

Winchester ammo can be great and it can very bad. I've had trouble with light loading in their 115 grs 9mm rounds. It wouldn't suprise me if the problem lies with the ammo. Try some other brands. As well check your grip, you might have accidentally prevented the slide lock from engaging.

The sticky magazine might be caused by several things. Gummy and filthy mag well-even if the pistol was used little it could be that the previous owner over lubricated, allowed the pistol to sit and the ,ube to cake. Is the magazine Colt factory or aftermarket? if it's a USA or Triple K mag then your problem is lkely with the magazine. Does the other magazine jam?

Yes, Colt has a spotty reputation with the quality. Make sure you try the above suggesitons and those of other posters before you send your 1991A1 to a gunsmith. The problems might have easy fixes.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I will try these ideas and see how it goes from there,I plan on sripping and cleaning it tonight. I will completly study the function of this pistol. The mags are colt and with a little tlc this piece should come around. I will post in the future my results(may be a while gotta finish my honeydo list first payback for the pistol)
Thanks again racer

Back