1975 Marlin 336 0n GB

Pumpkin

There is a clean 75 vintage 336 30-30 0n GB for $5,625 with 130 bids!:eek: Gotta be some kind of a scam!
I've got one I'll sell for half that much. Unlike the one for sale, mine doesn't have a cheesy 4x scope though!

I saw that on GB. I almost posted on here about it, too. If you look at who is bidding on it, there is one bidder who has never won anything on GB and he has bid by far the most times. There are other bidders who never won, too. I have a feeling that they won't pay and it will be relisted.

My cousin almost got caught up in what GB said was a scam on there. We've both bought our share of guns and other things on there without a problem except for the one just mentioned.

That is about 10X more than it's PROBABLY worth. And I wouldn't pay $500 for a common 336.

BUT... over the years they have made some special limited runs that might well come close to $5000. I have one of about 2000 30-30's made in 1988-1989 with a 16" barrel and a straight grip. This is similar to the old Marauder, but a more modern version. They actually made many more Marauder's than this rifle.

I also have one of 500 rifles made in 2005 in 35 Rem. It is a copy of the Guide gun with an 18" barrel and half mag tube in SS. They made a 500 of them in blue a couple of years earlier.

Last time I checked those were worth $2000-$3000. And the way things are going now I'd not be surprised to see one bring $5000.

More and more scammers on GB...well, every format with e-sales actually. I am starting to wonder about the motivation being more than just simple theft.

I picked up my 35 Rem 336 at a LGS for less than those $700 starting bids on GB. I just keep dropping off "gifts" for my local shops who will, eventually find what I am looking for.

Yeah, insanity makes a happy seller...if legit.

I am wondering if it has something to do with this site: https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/Marlin-336/price-historical-value

That uses AI to track sales. A few really high like that would bump the prices and if a person has a bunch to unload, that might benefit them. Prices have been falling recently and S&W just took a big hit on their stock due to falling sales a quarter. Everyone is fully stocked with guns around me.

And peoples credit cards are probably ready to explode! Unpaid balances with rates going up:eek:
That old grizzly bear might have finally filled his belly, can't eat another bite. Getting ready for a nap.
Maybe this will help turn gun prices back around?:confused:

Maybe gunbroker has some sort of bidder option to up a bid automatically when another bid comes in from any other party (I certainly don't know if this is the case or not). That way, a bidder who doesn't care what the price of the item is, and who can't be present for the on-line auction bidding result, will get the item regardless of whoever else is bidding on it. A new bid comes in, and automatically the bid is countered until the auction ends, and the "butcher's bill" comes due...

I believe ebay has something like this (or used to), an automatic bid raiser of sorts. As most here, I can't believe that particular rifle went for such a price. Seems an eye-opening/fainting spell for somebody...:eek:

^^
GB does have the option of placing your maximum bid. If someone bids under your maximum bid then you win the auction. I did this last year when I bought my Winchester 94. I’m surprised that some GB users don’t understand the concept and then complain when they lose an auction.

I have seen this happen before a couple of times when the seller makes a side deal and wishes to end the auction early. The seller can not figure out or is unable to end the auction and messages the bidders that the items is sold. A couple of these bidders get pistoff and bid like crazy, knowing that they will not be asked to pay. The result is that the auction becomes an attraction and some folks question the honesty of the seller.

In the is case there were half a dozen bidders going nuts.

I’ve recently sold all my post WW2 Marlins except my Maurader. Mine were all hi condition and 1980 or older JMs, all pre safety. I sold 39s and 1894s and 336s for around $1100 average, none for less than $1K. The 1895 and 444 went for $1500
A while back I took a nice post 64 Win 1894 and a Marlin Glenfield NIB on same trade. I made boo boo, sold MG 30/30 for $400, it sold instantly. The Win 94 I drug for a year to get same. The older JM Marlin products are sleepers. Even the model 60, 22rifles are in demand.

Attachments

• EB445B65-7ED2-46B8-A9D7-DD6EF0B61A94.jpeg
    EB445B65-7ED2-46B8-A9D7-DD6EF0B61A94.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 31
Back