1972 vintage S&W model 13

Master Blaster

Hi All Merry Christmas,

The other day I was in my favorite gunshop, and in the case they had a S&W Model 13 3.5" barrel .357 magnum. I think that this is the combat masterpiece model? It was in the original box and appeared to be New and unfired although described as LNIB. The price was $295, I almost went for it but I really wanted adjustible sights, and this gun has fixed sights. Is it worth the price?
What kind of Ammo would have been used to sight it in at poa? .357 158gr hollow points?.
Does anyone know if the adjustibles can be added to the gun?

Thanks

If your wanting adjustable sights, I personally would go with the model 19, or the stainless version, the 66, for the same or maybe less money. The cost of adding sights to the 13 would be prohibitive.

Decent price if that is what you want. If you want adjustable sights tho, like Frenchy said, go for one that came with em.

Many of the departments that had 13s (K frame) traded em in on Modl 28s (N frame).

13 was not the combat masterpiece. It was called the .357 M&P.

Sam

That barrel should be a 3" or a 4", not 3.5". That is an early P&R mod 13 and that price is not out of line for one in that condition, especially if it is a 3" gun.

I think I would pass on this deal, opting instead
for a 2-1/2" model 19/66; or a 3" S&W model 65.
The 65 is the same gun; but in stainless steel.
The 19 or 66 is equipped with adjustable sight's.
The choice is yours; so be happy and shoot
straight.:D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I'd go for a 19 or 66. I've got a 19 4" that has literaly been a million miles and have never had a moments trouble with it!
Dan

To dissent...

I think that the 3" heavy-barrel round-butt Model 13 (a.k.a. "The FBI Gun") is quite possibly one of the slickest CCW pieces ever.

I had one long ago, but traded it (like an idjit) for a 659 auto. (Hey, I was young and stupid and the Wondernine Era was just getting rolling...)

The same revolver now serves as a basis for a gun that I consider the centerpiece of my meagre collection: the PC-13, (referred to in the Standard Catalog... as "a very serious carry revolver")

swpc13.jpg

How badly do you need adjustable sights on a CCW gun? Is the ability to correct POA a few inches at 25 yards with different carry loads worth having an appendage on the gun that could snag at the worst possible moment and get you killed?

Buy it; you'll like it. (And if you don't, you can sell it to me if it really is a 3" HB/RB; I've been pining after my lost one for more than 12 years... :( )

The Model 13 with the 3" heavy barrel is just about the perfect carry revolver. It was the "FBI gun" for many years, until they jumped on the autochucker bandwagon like every other LE outfit in the mid-Eighties.

I've been looking for an M13 in 3" for a long time now...had the Performance Center PC-13, but gave it away. Buy it and sell it to me if you don't like it, I'll gladly trade you one of my Wondernines for it. :)

Tamara,

That picture has got to be the best looking gun I've ever seen. I have a model 65 in matte stainless with those same grips (I love the grips so I bought the "Ladysmith" despite the name ) but with the hammer spur- I thought that was the nicest looking gun on Earth (and a medium frame, 3" .357 mag was exactly what I wanted). Now that I've seen that picture I think I would like to find one like it to go with the 65. Darn, one more thing to add to my wish list. Do you know if the S&W Performance Center still offers it or how many were made (i.e. how hard will it be to find used)?

Another vote in favor of the 3" Model 13.

BTW, nice looking gun indeed, Tamara. Though I cannot imagine why anybody in their right mind would put what appears to me to be an overtravel set screw on a gun intended for serious work.

chaim

The PC-13, depending on which source you believe, was made in a limited run of either 300 or 400 in 1994 or 1995. They turn up in Gun List for $800ish with some regularity.

LIProgun

It's actually not a set screw; just a stubby, fixed overtravel stop. It appears to be a section of roll-pin. Apparently the Performance Center thought it belonged there, as it is most definitely factory.

Back