1970s Uberti 1851

brotherg

I have searched for the last few days for information on the quality or differences that may or may not exist in older replicas. Not really coming up with anything

An auction site has a 1977 dated Uberti 1851 which I will likely not get an opportunity to buy but I figure the information would be handy anyway.

Is there any differences in quality in the different manufacturing decades of specifically the Uberti? And more specifically the Navy and Walker, the current guns on my wish list.

I understand Pietta has improved over the years.

I also understand bore wear on a 40 year old gun is probably the biggest issue.

Quality is a lot better now than it was 10 years ago but having said that I have a Pietta made in 76 that is just as good as the newer ones. The main improvements I think are less tool marks and roughness inside the frames. Uberti has been using forged frames since 07 so the older cast frames may be a little larger. I don't have a Uberti navy or Walker but I have a 2013 Dragoon and it is very clean inside with no tool marks or burrs anywhere. Bore wear on a C&B is virtually nonexistent. What you do need to watch for is pitting and even that usually isn't too much of an issue .

I can not speak on 1970's Uberti quality. I can say that I own a 1974 Pietta brasser in .44, 1851 model. It still shoots well at 40+ years of age. It's not perfect and probably needs some adjustments in the timing. I am impressed with it though being a cheap gun that's older than I am.
From my understanding Uberti outpaced Pietta in quality until recently.

I have Ubertis from late '60s and 2014, the new one had less barrel/cylinder gap but that might be by chance. These things are more related to care and use than age.

Howdy

I still have the brass framed Uberti 44 caliber 'Navy' that I bought as a kid in 1968. I think the quality of the parts is better than what Uberti is producing today. More precise machining, smoother surfaces, less burrs.

I don't know which make it was, but I trust the modern Pietta or Uberti more than their '70s counterpart. An associate of mine had a steel frame one that had cracked. Being cheap, he had the frame welded. :rolleyes: Me, I'd retire it.

I knew a guy from another forum that welded the loading lever catch on a Colt 1860 and it changed his POI.

Back