1970 .284 Ruger M77 Tang-Flat Bolt....Expert Knowledge Wanted

My wife's granddaddy gave me one of these. I have been told many things about them. I would like to get some true expert advise to answer some of the truths\myths I have been told. Thanks for your help.

Been told these things.

1. Very Very small run of these by Ruger - less than a 1,000 in 1970??
2. Very accurate and a wanted gun by hand loaders.
3. Tang Saftey and Flat Bolt makes it even more rare.
4. Heard values from $600 to $1,500.
5. Ruger screwed the pooch on the serial numbers??

Thanks for any help on these. If you have knowledge of the performance I would love to know the details.

I'm not an expert, but am curious what your ser# is? I have (I believe a first year) M77 in .243, no flat bolt. Ser # is 1703. No prefix.

I can't answer most of your questions but i can tell you the 284 winchester is one of the best deer cartridges out there, too bad it fell in popularity.

1. Very Very small run of these by Ruger - less than a 1,000 in 1970??
2. Very accurate and a wanted gun by hand loaders.
3. Tang Saftey and Flat Bolt makes it even more rare.
4. Heard values from $600 to $1,500.
5. Ruger screwed the pooch on the serial numbers??
1. The .284 Win was a standard chambering in Ruger 77s for many years. Flat bolt handle was standard until 1970.
2. Very accurate? Pre-1990 Rugers seemed to be hit or miss as far as accuracy goes, but the 284 does have a "cult" following among handloaders, hunters, odd caliber lovers, etc.
3. All Ruger M77s made from 1964 to 1969 had tang safeties and flat bolts. From 1970 on, the bolt handle was changed to the more conventional, rounder bolt handle.
4. In good condition (condition really is everything), your Ruger M77 is worth between $500 to 800, with a premium for the 284 chambering, so yes, it is realistically worth between $600-1000 to the right person.
5. Don't know what to say on the serial numbers unless you can be more specific.

scorch - so does this make my gun a 1969? I seen a serial number run somewhere that said that the first .284 was in 1968 and there was only 1 made. 1969 was first public production. Is this true? I have never checked my serial number against anything, but my wife granddaddy said he bought it in 1970 or 71. My has the tang and flat so I guess it would have to be a 69 right? It is in perfect condition for a gun that has been shot. No rust spots, and very few minor scratches. The only flaw it has is that is has her graddaddy name engraved in the rear side of the stock. But I'll never sell it so I kind of like that. Should I shoot it, or just put it up?

My has the tang and flat so I guess it would have to be a 69 right?
It could be 1969 or early 1970 production. Way back when, rifles with uncommon chamberings could sit on a dealer's shelf for years before being sold. That was before the internet, remember. For example, my Ruger 77R in 7X57 sat on the dealer's shelf for about a year before I finally bought it.

For all the blather you hear/read on forums about how great the 284 is/was, the 284 was never a very popular chambering because of the way it was presented to the market (one manufacturer, one bullet weight, loaded down to make sure it would not jam up autoloaders, bullets seated deep to work through 308-length actions). From the get-go, you had to handload it to get the most out of it. At its best, it almost matches the 7mm Rem Mag. At its worst (like the factory loads), it was about like a mild 270 load. Shooters were unimpressed for the most part, especially in an era that brought us the 264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc.
The only flaw it has is that is has her graddaddy name engraved in the rear side of the stock. But I'll never sell it so I kind of like that. Should I shoot it, or just put it up?
It's a shooter. Take it out and enjoy it.

Back