1968 Browning HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

I recently purchased a mint condition 1968 Browning HP. My first Hi Power was a 1975 model I bought new which is long since gone and I had forgotten just how well made and beautiful these older Brownings were. This latest HP is my fourth and my others are all recent models. In comparison the 1968 blueing and checkered wood grips are beautiful and overall quality is excellent. The sights are smaller and there is only one smaller thumb safety which is a problem for me as I am left handed. I had heard that the older HPs are ammo sensitive but this proved untrue at the range yesterday.I shot GA Arms 124gr fmj and jhp and it ate everything without a hitch.I couldn't say the same about the Walther P5 I was also testing! The HP groups were about 3in at 25 yards but were limited by the small sights. There is no doubt this HP is as accurate as my newer models. I have heard the rumors of the demise of Browning handguns and hope they are not true as IMO these are the finest handguns made today (and yesterday). If it does happen I quess Clinton will leave his legacy as he wished but all the memories he leaves will be unpleasant ones!

Hello and congratulations on your vintage HP.
Those older guns are nice. In my experience, much of the problem with some of the older guns not reliably feeding was due to magazines that didn't keep the cartridge pointed "up" far enough. Some mags did and some didn't. You apparently have a magazine or magazines that do. Once you get an HP to "run", it usually does so without problems from that point on. Best and good shooting.

Browning pistols are the best. I have only experienced one malfunction, due to bad ammo, in the life of my Hi-power. I hope to collect many more of JMB's fine pistols in the future.

------------------
Where the choice is between only violence and
cowardice, I would advise violence."
— Mohandas Gandhi
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back