1955 Winchester Model 70 300 H&H

jsust

I have recently come across a beautiful rifle. It has been used and there are some nicks in the stock but it was well taken care of. The serial number dates it back to 1955. I do not know much about the 300 H&H round or this gun. Could anyone help me find the value? I have tried looking the rifle up but i can not find any in this caliber.

I have no idea what the books say, but one of my friends bought one about three years ago, in pristine condition and paid $800 and some change for it. I think he got a good deal.

A pre-64 built after WW-2 in common calibers isn't worth nearly as much as most people think. But one in 300 H&H is fairly uncommon and should bring a premium. Prices on those are all over the place and the exact configuration and condition mean a lot.

The 300 H&H is a very long cartridge that required either a magnum action, or in the case of the model 70 one that was slightly modified to make it fit. It is a very "classic" round and desirable from a collector or sentimental perspective. It will come close to, but not quite equal 300 WM in performance. Ammo isn't readily available, but not impossible to find either. It'd be best for someone who hand loads.

I'm afraid to guess at a value. But if I wanted one, I'd not hesitate to pay $1,000 if in good condition. And it might be worth a lot more than that in 300 H&H.

Pre 64 M70s are beautiful rifles and are sought after but they made a bunch of them. The 300 H&H would be an unusual caliber.

I like the 300 H&H a lot (actually I think I just like saying 300 H&H because it sounds so damn cool). It is less powerful than the 300 Winchester or other more modern 300 Magnums but it is bad boy enough for anything in North America. The panache of shooting the ORIGINAL 300 Magnum is sublime. Pricey to buy but easy to reload.

I have two 300 H&H rifles. One is all factory original...

standard.jpg

While the other is a total custom job...

standard.jpg

Assuming 90-ish % original finish, I would guess somewhere in the $2,500-$3,000 neighborhood. 300 H&Hs are pretty scarce.

A friend of mine had a .300 H&H Model 70 that his Grandfather passed down to him.

The .300 H&H was known, but wasn't really all that popular in the United States, until Ben Comfort won the 1935 Wimbledon Cup at the National Matches using a Griffin & Howe built .300 on a Model of 1917 action.

After that the .300 became quite popular in target circles for 1,000 yard matches and gained popularity for the longer-range hunting found in the Western United States.

World War II interrupted, and after the war with the huge upsurge in civilian gun purchasing the .300 picked up and led to the birth of modern magnum cartridges like the 7mm Remington and .300 Winchester Magnum, all based on the .300 H&H.

Some good information on Comfort and the rise of the .300 here: http://www.brasblog.info/article/594350451/history-ben-comfort-1935-wimbledon-cup/

QUOTE: "Assuming 90-ish % original finish, I would guess somewhere in the $2,500-$3,000 neighborhood. 300 H&Hs are pretty scarce."

Wow! As much as I revere pre-64 Winchester Model 70s and even though one chambered in .300 H&H Magnum would be a hard-to-find specimen, I'd have to say anything in very good to excellent condition wouldn't bring much over a grand in these parts; at least in my experience and I attend a lot of gun shows in Ohio over a year's time.

I have a 700 Classic in .300 H&H, it's a pretty neat cartridge. It is capable of doing anything the .300 Win Mag can do as the cases are very close to the same volume. Because of the age of some of the guns out there it is underloaded. Find an older Nosler manual and there are some potent loads listed.

Brass is available but you may have to search for it. Remington still sells factory ammo for it also.

Fired cases do not stretch much and rarely require trimming.

Back