1941 K98 BNZ Marking...

roguetwelve12

Hello all,

I've recently aquired another RC-K98 manufactured at Steyr (BNZ) in 1941. Markings are fantastic but there's one I've never seen before. Next to the 41 on the reciever, there is a marking that says "St.G". I was trying to work this out in my head and all of the information at my disposal proved useless. All I can come up with is Steyr for the St. but I don't even know if that is correct. Any help that anybody can give in this matter would be most appreciated.

r12

Additional question if anybody happens to know. The markings seem to be painted in as well as stamped. In my limited mauser experience I've only ever seen stamps as opposed to a white coloring as well. I uploaded a photo (crappy quality but you get the point) so if anybody can explain this to me that'd be spectacular as well.

Thanks to all, again.

r12

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 131
It will be chalk or white crayon of some type ... Milsurp collectors commonly do this to highlight markings in photographs. The previous owner didn't bother cleaning the white out of the markings.

Tiki.

A rifle marked "St.G" (or SG) = St.Gallen (Switzerland).

[EDIT] Who knows why a German rifle got a Swiss mark ?
I DO know that both those European countries (and more than a few more) systematically "proofed & ergo, proof marked" every single firearm imported.

The white paint filling the stampings is not necessarily original, since it was once common to highlight such for easy ID and (in some eyes) beautification.
There's a LOT of commercial rifles out there, for instance, that have their lettering/caliber mark/etc filled with gold paint.

Some military units used paint on the wooden stocks, however - also encountered fairly often.

Last edited:
I am one hundred percent sure it's St.G. I know there were some Swiss volunteers that entered German military service... that's about my only lead right now.

Wouldn't Swiss volunteers use either German-made K98s or Swiss-made K31s? I really don't see the Swiss manufacturing German arms for just their volunteers.

Back