1940 Mauser 98K in .30-06

PTGDVC

I have a German 98K that was rebarreled and converted to .30-06 by Norway in the late 40s or early 50s. It shoots beautifully, but the exterior cosmetics are fair to poor. As the its collectable value is low, I would like to restore it ( new military stock and refinish the metal ) and keep it as a shooter.

I am looking for options. Is Miltech the way to go? Who has Very Good or Excellent stocks?

Odd that you had no replies before this. Anyway--I believe that Miltech now advertises that they will refinish/restore individually owned rifles sent in to them. From what I recall reading in Olson's Mauser book the 98Ks that were rechambered to '06 were not changed in any material way otherwise. So you could try them on this. Alternatively, do some checking on the Mauser forum at www.gunandknife.com.

------------------

I wuz gonna comment earlier, but I don't see the point of going back to less-than-potential of the gun for the money it would take.

That action was the base for numerous custom-built tack drivers, back in the late '40s to early '60s. My uncle built a pet with a Gebby barrel in .22-250, and chamber pressure was never a problem. It's the 1943 and later actions which are suspect. You're not going to find as slick an action in any new gun unless you get into the custom-gun category.

So why not put a sporter stock on it and have the action drilled and tapped for a scope? The gun could well be a sub-MOA shooter, and in '06 you would hardly need anything else!

Regards, Art

Back