1938 Mosin Nagant m91/30

Archametes

Inactive
Hey guys, i just literally FOUND a Mosin Nagant rifle in my attic. located in the corner of my daughters room is an access panel to the attic, above that panel and under the insuation was the rifle, 2 boxes of ammo and a bag with about 20 or so more rounds... :eek:

I did some research with the numbers/toolings stamped on the rifle and found out it was a Mosin. I can post pics up tomorrow of it. It's already been Sporterized (molested) which threw off my search at first but after some cleaning I was able to find the M91/30 stamped at the tip of the barrell. It distinctly has the Tula logo and 1938 stamped on top of the breach, and some numbers (not matching the ones on the breach) stamped onto the bolt assembly. It has the ATI Monte Carlo stock, scope mount, and bolt handle. The original bolt handle looks like it was broken off and this was used as a cheap replacement. It has a Tasco "world class" 20x scope as well. I'm not sure if it was originally a sniper variant though, i can't find a P/U stamped on it anywhere, but the barrell is 27 3/4" long (from the seamof the breach to the tip) which was the "sniper" barrell used from what i could find while searching for info.

Any info, corrections, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Damn... I knew I forgot something when I moved outta that house!!

Lol... I wouldn't be surprised of more people didn't have 91/30's drywalled in their places :D

Seems like a pretty common MN... lots of info can be found here: http://7.62x54r.net/

yeah, i wish it was more original than what it is. i'd like to at least start with an original bolt, then maybe look into a stock... i'd like to find or try to make a Dragonov style stock, but the richards microfit looks really sweet too ;)

any other options i should look into? i'd like to use it mostly for long range shooting, but also maybe deer hunting with a different scope...

Oh wow, that is cool.
I would be pretty interested in seeing some pics. I can't imagine finding a gun in an old house, must be like finding gold.

OK, regarding the rifle itself...

There was normally no difference in the barrel length, profile, rifling, etc. between a Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle and a run-of-the-mill M91/30. In fact, the sniper rifles even included the same iron sights; the scope was mounted high and to the left so the shooter could use the irons as backup in case the scope was disabled (a feature that AFAIK is retained on present-day Russian sniper rifles). All Mosin-Nagants were test-fired and zeroed before being sent afield, and the most accurate ones were chosen to be sniper rifles. A bent-down bolt handle was installed, the stock was relieved to clear the bolt handle and scope mount, and scope mounting holes were drilled.

After the Great Patriotic War (WWII to capitalists), almost all serviceable Mosin-Nagants in the Soviet inventory were arsenal-refurbished. As part of the refurbishment process, a large number of former sniper rifles were "retired" from sniper duty and converted into what Western collectors call "ex-snipers". The historical reasons for this are unclear; the most likely reason is a combination of loss in accuracy and an excess number of sniper rifles in inventory. Whatever the reason, the conversion normally involved removing the scope mount, welding plugs into the scope mounting holes, grinding the plugs flat against the exterior of the receiver, refinishing the metal, installing a straight-handled bolt body often taken from another rifle (more on this in a moment), and installing a standard M91/30 stock without the scope and bolt-handle recesses. Ex-snipers are normally identified by visible plugs inside the left receiver wall. Pictures here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures08.htm

Regarding the bolt, the M-N bolt has several parts, but the only one that affects headspace is the bolt head. The bolt body- the part with the handle attached- can be freely swapped between different guns with no effect on headspace. Although it would have made more sense to serialize the bolt head, the Soviets serial-numbered the bolt body, for reasons lost to history. FWIW you'll often find milsurp M-Ns with mismatched bolt bodies, usually with the original serial number lined out and the new one stamped or electropenciled on the part.

More here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

Now that I've explained all of this...

Since you found this rifle under somewhat questionable circumstances, and you've now admitted as much on a public Internet forum, I strongly suggest sharing this information with your local police. Yes, you may lose the rifle if it turns out to be stolen, but IMHO this beats the alternative- i.e. YOU getting arrested for stealing it or committing some other crime with it. :eek: Besides, Mosin-Nagants are cheap, and buying an unmolested one won't be that hard. :)

One other thing...

The original bolt handle looks like it was broken off and this was used as a cheap replacement.
The ATI stock is usually sold in a kit that include the bolt handle. However, installing the handle is supposedly an absolute PITA because the old handle has to be sawed off carefully, leaving a flat surface. The bolt body is made of VERY hard steel, making it quite difficult to do a high-quality job using commonplace hand tools. The former owner likely botched the job. :rolleyes:

FWIW a small cottage industry has emerged to support modifications to these guns, and a couple of suppliers can sell you a new bolt body with a nice-looking integral handle that clears a scope mounted on the receiver while allowing the use of a normal non-relieved Soviet hardwood stock. :)

ok, heres a few photo's i took just prior to full tear down and cleaning. I appreciate your concern and mentioning to call the PD but I already did that and took it one step by call ing my cousin in DOHS. by the serial numbers listed the rifle is free and clear :) phot's are below, not sure what you mean exactly of being crossed out for the serial numbers but there are none crossed out on mine...

100_0206.jpg

100_0204.jpg

100_0200.jpg

100_0199.jpg

not sure what the front mount under the stock is exactly for but i'm assuming a bipod... doesn't exactly fit well though, sides overhang the body of the stock by about 1/8th inch on each side...

i think i'll just start with replacing the bolt and then try to find as close to an original for that era stock as i can (not a refurb)....

thanks for the help guys :)
-Mike

Bolt and original style stock...

OK looking for an original style stock and a bent or sniper bolt, i don't want the "screwed on" one thats on there now; and the monte carlo stock just doesn't work for me.... Besides Ebay for a stock, does anyone have any other suggestions of reputable places to get these items? preferably in a package if i can find it.

-mike

you realize you can buy a whole new handpicked rifle for $75 and have the bolt turned down for another $50-75 by a smith right?

not sure what the front mount under the stock is exactly for but i'm assuming a bipod... doesn't exactly fit well though, sides overhang the body of the stock by about 1/8th inch on each side...

That's a hand or palm stop like that used on target rifles.

Back